24 Hours in Montauk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

August for me was filled with adventures that my friend Emillie and I wrote on our summer bucket list. We hiked the Appalachian Trail through New Jersey, we found the secret beach in our town that few people know about and committed to doing as much yoga as we could, like the granola-eating, tree-hugging stereotype girls we are. The one thing we didn’t get to do before the month was over was take a road trip to Montauk, Long Island. We decided to plan it for the last weekend in the summer, so we could say that we completed everything on our list.

We left last Friday night, while blasting John Mayer’s Paradise Island album, strictly because I brought a poncho (don’t judge, I swear it’s cute) that was reminiscent of the one he wears on the album’s cover. We got there late, so we went straight to bed so we could wake up for our first bucket list task: a horseback ride to the highest point in Montauk.

We awoke and went to Deep Hollow Ranch the next morning and pursued our one potentially lethal adventure of the day- and it was completely worth it. 

The ride took an hour and a half, so after that we went straight to The Lobster Roll for lunch. And yes, I am one of “those people” who Instagram’s their food, as shown below.

East Hampton and Sag Harbor were the last two stops on our list, so after we finished lunch we headed out for some shopping. We got to Sag Harbor at the perfect time and got to see the sunset.  

If you have never been out to Montauk, take a friend and drive out there even if just for 24 hours- it’s well worth the trip.