2020 Met Gala Theme Announced

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Fashion’s biggest night, the Met Gala, officially has a theme for its 2020 celebrity carpet & following Costume Institute exhibit — “About Time: Fashion & Duration.” With the Met’s 150th anniversary upon us, the museum plans to take us on a journey of fashion from the 1870’s til now, featuring almost 160 pieces from its archive, explored through the lens of Virginia Woolf’s writings. Met Director Max Hollein commented, “This exhibition will consider the ephemeral nature of fashion, employing flashbacks & fast-forwards to reveal how it can be both linear & cyclical.”

(Photo Credit: By David Bailey for The Met)

“Fashion is indelibly connected to time,” Andrew Bolton, curator of the exhibition, said upon the announcement of the theme, which was confusing “Camp” last time around & controversial “Catholicism” the year prior. “It not only reflects and represents the spirit of the times, but it also changes and develops with the times, serving as an especially sensitive and accurate timepiece. Through a series of chronologies, the exhibition will use the concept of duration to analyze the temporal twists and turns of fashion history.”

But besides the excitement of awaiting the new exhibit, who’s dying to see what all of our favorite Met Gala attendees will choose to wear? How will Kim K. & Katy Perry interpret the theme this year? Will sponsored designers & their muses go old school or futuristic? Guess we’ll just have to wait until next May to find out!

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.