Style

14 Super Easy & Last-Minute DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

If you’re anything like me and you cannot contain your excitement for #spookyseason, you probably started talking about what you were being for Halloween way back in August. But now, Halloweekend is here and you’ve realized you completely forgot to order a costume, and you have absolutely nothing to wear. You are desperately searching Pinterest for costume ideas for either yourself or your friend group, but you soon realize that whatever you were planninh on ordering definitely will not come in time. So to solve this problem, I came up with a list of 14 easy, DIY, super last-minute Halloween costumes that you most likely will be able to throw together with everything you already have sitting in your closet.

Hobo

This may seem like the most obvious choice, but a hobo costume is so simple and easy to throw together (and, not to mention, super comfy). All you need are some super-ripped boyfriend jeans or a pair of baggy sweatpants, a flannel, and a beanie. That’s literally it! And if you want to spice things up, you can throw on some face makeup to look like dust or dirt, and you can take an old piece of cardboard and write something along the lines of “Will Work for Candy.”

Gangster/Rapper

This costume is kind of similar to the hobo, minus the face makeup and cardboard. For this, all you need is a t-shirt or tank, a snapback or a baseball hat, baggy sweatpants, and boxers that peak out from underneath your sweats. If you are able to get to a dollar store or Party City or something of the sort, you could buy a giant fake gold chain and some fake money to put in your pockets, which is quite cheap. Also super comfy!

Boxer

All you really need for this one is some sort of hooded jacket or robe, a sports bra, and a pair of spandex or leggings. You can even tape up your hands so it looks like you’re wearing gloves (actually, some boxers do tape their hands, so it works!). Also, throw your hair in some French braids to add to your look. If you want to add makeup to make your face look beat up, go for it!

Risky Business

Basic, but simple! You just need a bra, boxers or spandex, and a big button-up shirt. High socks and sunglasses can add to the look if you have those as well!

Sandy from “Grease”

For this costume, you just need black jeans or leather pants, a black off-the-shoulder top, and if you have one, a leather jacket. Make sure to curl your hair in tight ringlets, and don’t forget about the red lipstick!

Tourist

Grab a Hawaiian shirt and a small camera and you are literally good to go! If you want to throw in a lei and a straw or bucket hat (and even a map if you have one), do it!

The Bachelorette

Just pick out your favorite dress, gown, jumpsuit from your closet and carry around a rose all night. Viola, you’re Hannah Brown!

Regina George from “Mean Girls”

While there are several different Regina George costumes out there, the easiest one is probably the one below. All you have to do is cut two holes in a junky white tank top and wear some sort of black pleated skirt. You can add a pink cardigan if you want, too!

Damien from “Mean Girls”

Sticking with the Mean Girls theme, you can also get a blue hoodie and some sunglasses and be Damien! Just write: “She doesn’t even go here!” on a piece of paper or cardboard and everyone will know exactly who you are. 

Baker or Chef

If you have an apron and a whisk, and maybe some oven mitts lying around your kitchen, you could easily dress up as a chef or baker!

Nerd

For this costume, you can wear a button-up shirt and a plaid skirt or khakis. Add some white tape to the center of a pair of glasses, some knee-highs, and suspenders if you have them and you’re all set!

School Girl

Very similar to the nerd costume, for a school girl outfit you just need a plaid skirt, a button-up shirt, and knee-high socks! You can add glasses to your look if you want to as well.

Greek Goddess

This one is a bit more crafty, but if you wrap yourself in a white sheet toga-style and get creative and make some sort of gold headband-y and belt thing, you’ll be looking like a Greek goddess in no time! You can also just use a white dress if that’s easier.

Ghost

Last, but not least, a classic! Cut holes for eyes in an old white sheet and throw it over your head — and you’re a ghost!

These are just a few of many many ideas for easy, last-minute DIY Halloween costumes, but get creative! If you think of something else, go for it. Whatever you decide to be, stay safe, have fun, and get spooooooky! Happy Halloween!

Hi! My name is Nicole Bregante, I am a Senior at Fordham University studying Mathematics & Psychology on the track of becoming a Math teacher. I am President of Expressions Dance Alliance, a student-run dance company on campus. Find me on Instagram, @nicolebregante!