11 of the Best ‘Scandal’ Quotes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

The bound-to-be explosive series finale of Scandal airs tonight, and I have a lot of feelings about it. As a prominent member of Shondaland’s TGIT lineup, the Kerry Washington-led drama has been airing since 2012. The show has always functioned as commentary on the dark side of our government, but has gotten too close to real life for creator Shonda Rhimes’ comfort. Following the 2016 election, people were calling on Olivia Pope, the media spinner played by Washington, to help the American public undo the election of Donald Trump. This made both Washington and Rhimes upset, and ultimately the show was renewed for one final season. Shonda’s official reasoning for cancellation is so that she can control the narrative of her characters, and oh will she ever. That being said, I’ve rounded up the best, most badass quotes from one of the most empowering shows on network television. Goodbye Scandal, you will be greatly missed. 

Olivia Pope: “I am not yours. I don’t show up places because you want me. I am not yours. This is over.” 

Fitz: How are you? Olivia Pope: Fine. Except, my married ex-boyfriend keeps calling me. Fitz: It’s just friendly; we’re being friends. Olivia Pope: We’re not friends. Fitz: We’re GOOD friends. Olivia Pope: HOW’S YOUR PREGNANT WIFE?

Olivia Pope: “I’m choosing me. I’m choosing Olivia. And right now, Olivia is dancing. Now, you can dance with me or you can get off my dance floor. I’m fine dancing alone.”

Mellie Grant: “I need to make some plans for my political future. And I do have a bright, bright political future. A sweet lawyer who gave up her career for her husband, suffered a miscarriage and then had a late in life baby while first lady. That’s gold. That’s a future president. That’s a hell of a second act. America loves a second act. Get. Over. Her. You see her again and I’ll blow you away and I’m an excellent shot remember.” 

Rowan Pope: “I am the hell and the high water.” 

Olivia Pope: “If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work, but you have to try, because if you try, if you leap and try, and it doesn’t work out, it’s not on you.”

Olivia Pope: “I also brought wine, but this is for me. I’m drinking the whole bottle.” 

Mellie Grant: “I made him. He exists because I say he exists.” 

Olivia Pope: “If you want me, earn me.” 

Olivia Pope: “I always have cards left to play.” 

Olivia Pope (to Mellie Grant): “You are a woman, a tactical thinker, a strategist, and a leader of the free world. So yes, this can be your call, and you will not make the same think below the waist mistakes as the 44 men who came before you because I will not allow it. That is my call. You are never alone. You have me.” 

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.