10 Things to Do in NYC This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

1. RuPaul’s Drag Con

September 9th and 10th, all of your favorite Queens are coming to the Big Apple. Put on  your best face and celebrate two full days of fabulous with panels and booths for everyone from Jeffree Starr to newly crowned RuPaul’s Drag Race Superstar Miss Sasha Velour herself. Ru will be there, so you should be too. Weekend passes will cost you $60, but can you really put a price on being in the same room as drag royalty?

2. RuPaul’s Drag Con After Party

And just how do you end a full weekend of drag realness? With an after party, of course. Head over to House of Yes in Brooklyn for an end-of-the-weekend blowout attended by your favorite queens. This party is not for the faint of heart though – make sure you bring your A game because Looks (capital L included) are not optional.

3. NYC Labor Day Parade

Kiss summer goodbye with this parade, starting on 5th avenue & East 44th at 10 AM. This is a great way to get out of the house and get some fresh air. Bring a friend, grab a drink after it’s over, and say hello to fall (and big sweaters).

4. Barbie Girl’s Dance Party

Make your way to the Bell House this Saturday at 10 PM for the throwback dance party of your dreams. Getting in the door is free, so your 90s memories won’t cost you a thing. Put on your best 90s looks (denim on denim tuxedos, anyone?) and get down to Britney, Aqua, and Cher. Black plastic chokers optional (but not really, they’re in again and we all know it).

5. Octfest

Wishing you were in Europe this fall? It may not be Germany, but you can get pretty close at Brooklyn Hangar this weekend. Over 40 breweries will offer up their brews to help bring the love of Oktoberfest to the Big Apple. Live music and beer, what else could you ask for?

6. Beer and Ramen? Yes Please!

Did you know that this Friday is Ramen Lover’s Day? In case you need to celebrate, EAK Ramen is throwing the weekend of every Ramen eater’s dreams. $5 ramen all weekend, but there’s a catch – you have to eat it in 30 minutes. Need something to wash your ramen down with? Try one of their $3 beers.

7. Grab a Pint & a Puppy

I don’t really think there needs to be an explanation for why you should go to this, but in case you need one let me repeat: puppies and beer. Head down to Coney Island on Saturday where Coney Island Brewery opens its doors to a nearby shelter. This is your best bet if you want to feel charitable this weekend: they’ll donate $1 for every beer consumed to Rescue City.

8. Channel Your Inner Astronomer

The Amateur Astronomer’s Association is gathering in Central Park this weekend to appreciate the last frontier. They’ll be in Sheep’s Meadow at 7 pm, high tech telescopes in tow, to hopefully catch a glimpse above. The weather is good, and there’s a chance you’ll get to see Saturn and Mars. The best part? You’ll get to use the telescopes for free.

9. Brunch at Mel’s Burger Bar

It doesn’t get better than bottomless brunch after a night out. This hidden gem is uptown waiting to help you through that groggy next-morning feeling. Pick your poison – whether it’s mimosas or bloody Mary’s, Mel’s burger bar will give you the brunch of your dreams. I recommend the Benny Burger.

10. Tour the Met

Need something a little lighter to end your weekend? Stop by the Met to take a tour or just wander around by yourself. Guided tours are free with museum admission, so this won’t cost you anything. Make sure to stop by the American wing and admire John Singer Sargent’s Madame X (a personal favorite of mine).

Jacquelyn Kozak is a junior at Fordham University studying English and Visual Arts. She enjoys long walks through the zoo and looking at viral videos of dogs, and is allergic to her own cats.