10 Things To Be Thankful For At Fordham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Even if it’s not your favorite holiday, Thanksgiving holds a special place in everyone’s heart. Every student at Fordham is SO excited to leave campus for our 5 days of break and get away from all the stress for Turkey Day. The day of Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on all that you’re thankful for, whether it’s at the dinner table around family and friends, or just to yourself to realize just how lucky you are. Before we all leave for home this year, we thought it would be fun to count down the top 10 things at Fordham that we should all be extremely thankful for!

10. Arthur Avenue

One of the best things about attending Fordham University is our location in relation to Arthur. Because it’s home to some of the best Italian food, Fordham students should feel extremely thankful for this amazing place. Not only can you get great pasta dishes [shout out to Gerbasi], amazing deserts [lookin’ at you, Palumbo’s], and great pizza at Full Moon, but we can also experience Italian-American culture at its finest. So whether you eat on Arthur, live there, or just frequent it, Arthur Avenue is definitely something to be thankful for.

9. The Botanical Gardens

The Bronx Botanical Gardens is one of the most beautiful places near campus. If you haven’t been yet, you should really take the time to go! I’m so thankful to have a beautiful place to turn to everytime I’m stressed about school work or just need to think. With the holidays quickly approaching, the Gardens now have their spectacular Christmas show open to the public, and this is certainly something to be thankful for.

8. Fordham Rams Football

This year, as well as the past three years, the Fordham Rams have advanced into the playoffs. I am certainly thankful to have such an amazing group of guys represent our school out on the field. All of the student body has had so much fun following you guys through an amazing season and into the playoffs. So thanks to all of you who made this season a great one to watch.

7. Father McShane

Everyone who goes to Fordham understands that seeing Father McShane is like the best thing ever. Everytime I see him on campus, his positive attitude and hysterical jokes make my day. This is a huge shout out to him because without him, Fordham University and all that we stand for wouldn’t be possible. So we couldn’t be more thankful to him for providing us with such an amazing community to be apart of.

6. Our Alumni

This is an appreciation post to all of our fellow Rams who have come before us – shout out to you Lana del Rey and Denzel Washington. Thank you for making the world a better place with your music and acting. We love seeing you represent Fordham and are extremely thankful to be able to follow in your footsteps.

5. Our Christmas Decorations

I don’t know about the rest of the student body, but Christmas is my favorite time at Fordham. Nothing made me happier than seeing the wreaths go up in the middle of November. They automatically make our campus 10x more beautiful… not that we need it! The lights and the decorations really lift our spirits on campus during finals and I think we all know we really need that.

4. The RA Staff

Even though some people may not be the biggest fan of their RA’s, they deserve a huge appreciation post during this time of year. They provide all of their residents with a great community during this time of year. Every building has amazing programs. Without them, our living experience at Fordham wouldn’t be nearly as great!

3. Campus Ministry

Maybe this isn’t something that you would necessarily think of, but our Campus Ministry is one of the best things that Fordham has to offer. During this holiday season, I am extremely thankful for all the hard work they put in to make sure that people who are less fortunate can make the best of their holidays. They have many programs that all students can participate in to help our community in this time of need, and it is definitely something to take advantage of during our time here at Fordham. They do everything they can to help our community and many others, spreading the message Thanksgiving to those who need it most.

2. Pugsley’s

Okay so anyone who knows me knows that I am completely obsessed with Pugsley’s. I couldn’t be more thankful that it’s open until 4AM everyday because I order it about three times a week. Thank you to everyone at Pugsley’s for getting me through every semester by feeding me the most amazing pizza. I’m *especially* thankful for the penne alla vodka pizza and I’m honestly sad I won’t be able to eat it for f i v e whole days. I know almost every Fordham student feels the same way I do… so everyone should be thankful for Sal and his amazing NY pizza!

1. Friends

On a personal note, there’s nothing I’m more thankful for here at Fordham than for the most amazing friends I have made throughout my year and a half here. This is a thank you note to all of the people who continue to make me happy every day. I couldn’t be more thankful for you guys and for everything that you have done for me. Thank you for making me laugh 24/7 and for being the best friends I could have asked for. On the days when I miss home, I am so thankful to have such an amazing group of people to surround me and make me feel at home. You make Fordham a home away from home and I don’t know what I’d do without you.

Happy Thanksgiving Fordham! HCXO, HC Fordham

Jessica is a sophomore at Fordham University, studying Political Science and International Studies. She is from Northport, Long Island and she loves everything about home. Jessica is involved in Campus Ministry, Fashion for Philanthropy, Relay for Life, Let's Get Ready, Club Tennis, and of course Her Campus at Fordham. She loves nothing more than Christmas time, preppy clothes, and the New York Rangers. Seriously, she's the biggest hockey fan ever! Jessica is super excited to be writing for Her Campus and looks forward to sharing her ideas with the Her Campus community!