10 Holiday Classics You Should Watch Before Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It’s that time of year again – as temperatures continue to drastically drop, spirits remain high and holiday cheer is in the air. ‘Tis the season of cherishing time spent with family and friends at festive parties, exchanging gifts, singing Christmas carols, sipping on warm drinks, and watching great movies that set the tone for the season. Whether it’s curling up on the couch with that special someone or just hanging out with family and friends, everyone loves a good holiday movie. No matter how corny they can sometimes be, they never fail to put everyone in a happy mood. It’s the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit.

Here are some of the top holiday movies of all-time:

10. Elf

Not only is this one of the best Christmas movies to exist, it’s also one of Will Ferrell’s best movies. You’ll fall in love with the adorable Buddy the Elf who brings out the innocent, childish ways in everyone.

9. Home Alone 

A beloved holiday film especially meant for the family, this comedy is a classic. When an 8-year old troublemaker is accidentally left home alone during Christmas vacation, strange things begin to happen and he must do everything he can to protect his home from harm.

8. The Holiday

If you’re looking for more of a romantic comedy, The Holiday is the perfect movie that has all the Christmas trimmings. With a great cast of stars (Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Jack Black), you’ll fall in love with the characters and this heartwarming story of when two women trade homes for the holidays and their lives change forever. (It’s one of my personal favorites.) 

7. Jack Frost

A father who has trouble keeping promises tragically passes away in a car accident. One year later, he comes back to life as a snowman, and has a second chance to make things right with his son. With a tearjerker ending, this movie emphasizes the importance of love and family.

6. The Santa Clause

This movie has Christmas written all over it. When divorced dad, Scott, (Tim Allen) accidentally kills a man in a Santa suit on Christmas Eve, he is magically transported to the North Pole where an elf explains that Scott must take Santa’s place before the next Christmas arrives. Although he thinks he is dreaming at first, things begin to sink in after he unexpectedly gains weight and grows an inexplicably white beard.

5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

This live-action adaptation of the beloved children’s tale by Dr. Seuss is a classic. Whether it’s the 1966 cartoon version that airs every year around Christmastime or the 2000 remake starring Jim Carrey, How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a timeless tale that never gets old.

4. It’s a Wonderful Life

This masterpiece by Director Frank Capra has a lot to say about community spirit and is a film that has much more to it than just feel-good sentimentality. As the film opens, it’s Christmas Eve 1946, and George, who has long considered himself a failure, faces financial ruin and arrest and is seriously contemplating suicide. Fortunately, a guardian angel is sent to George from the heavens to show him what life would have become for the residents of Bedford Falls if he had never lived. Simply put, It’s a Wonderful Life is a wonderful movie.

3. The Polar Express

An inspiring adventure based on the beloved children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg, prepare to embark on a journey to the North Pole in The Polar Express. This movie touches upon the most important theme of the holiday season: to believe.

2. Miracle on 34th Street

The original and best version of the touching tale of a man who claims to be the real-life Santa Claus, Miracle on 34th Street charms, delights and puts you in the Christmas spirit. This classic is one of the few perfect and genuinely emotional Christmas movies that will live on forever.

1. A Christmas Carol

Known as the ghost-story of Christmas, A Christmas Carol tells the story of a bitter old miser named Ebenezer Scrooge and his transformation into a gentler, kindlier man after being visited by the ghost of his former business partner and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come. Originally written by Charles Dickens, it is one of the most enduring and beloved holiday classics of all time that teaches us valuable life lessons. As a matter of fact, the story is responsible for giving us many of our holiday customs, including the name “Scrooge” for a miser, the exclamation “Bah, humbug!” and even the phrase “Merry Christmas” itself!

Katherine Falzon (aka Kat) is a senior at Fordham University. Her major is Communication and Media Studies with a concentration in Journalism. A Jersey girl at heart, she spends her summers down the shore and enjoys playing the guitar, running, and writing for pleasure. Katherine hopes to someday make her passion of writing a full-time career. Curious to find out more about Katherine? Follow her on Instagram @kat_falzon