Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures

10 Empowering Movies to Watch During International Women’s Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

With March just around the corner, it’s time to celebrate International Women’s Month! While we cannot hold protests or marches to symbolize our empowerment and fight for change, watching movies with inspiring female leads to (safely) celebrate this month with your fellow female bad-asses.

Hidden Figures (2016)

While male brains were running the show at NASA working hard to beat Russia in the space race, there were three brilliant African-American women solving the problems and doing the math that would help them launch astronaut John Glenn into space. This movie stars Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monáe, and can be streamed on Disney+ and Hulu.

Moana (2016)

When a fearless teenage girl sees that her people need saving, she sets off on a mission accompanied by fallen demigod Maui to do just that. Moana is adventurous, strong, and ambitious, and an amazing addition to the Disney Princess lineup. Set in a beautiful island paradise to a Lin-Manuel Miranda soundtrack, this princess shows us that you don’t need a prince to create your own happy ending. This movie can be streamed on Disney+.

A League of Their Own (1992)

When all of the usual young, athletic men are busy fighting in World War II, the first professional female baseball league work together to become great. Their journey takes them to a whole new world outside the baseball diamond, and it is still inspiring today. This movie features Tom Hanks, Rosie O’Donnell, and features Madonna in a small role, and it can be streamed on Discovery+ and USA Network.

Wonder Woman (2017)

Before growing up to become Wonder Woman, Diana was raised as a princess of the Amazons was trained to be a fearless warrior. Diana meets an American pilot who tells her about the conflict occurring during World War I, and she believes that her people are at risk, so she sets out to stop the threat. It is only once she is fighting together with the soldiers and she is gone from home for the first time that she is able to fully see her full powers and true destiny. This unique superhero flick stars Gal Gadot and Chris Pine, and is available to stream on HBO Max.

Clueless (1995)

Based on Jane Austen’s 1815 novel Emma, Clueless centers on Beverly Hills teen Cher Horowitz. Despite her popular girl status, Cher is good-natured and kind, so she decides to befriend and guide the new girl in school, Tai. After a series of embarrassing dates and failed drivers tests, Cher comes to realize how misguided she is and is able to see the greater meaning of things. This iconic flick stars Alicia Silverstone and Paul Rudd and can be streamed on Pluto TV.

Nine to Fivee (1980)

Three independent female secretaries band together to get revenge on their egotistical, lying, and sexist boss by abducting him and running the business on their own. After continuously being passed up for promotions solely because of being women, the trio has a wild night together living out their fantasies. This timeless classic stars Dabney Coleman, Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and Dolly Parton, and can be streamed on Hulu and Cinemax. 

Queen of Katwe (2016)

This incredibly moving film depicts the life of 10-year-old Phiona Mutesi, a young girl living in a remote slum of Kampala, Uganda called Katwe who is constantly struggling with her family. Phiona’s true passion and talents are found when she meets missionary Robert Katende, who teaches the children in her village how to play chess. Fiona goes on to become a top play and paves her own way to escape her life of poverty. This moving film stars Lupita Nyong’o and David Oyelowow, and can be streamed on Disney+. 

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

When popular younger sister Bianca is forbidden to date until her more outspoken and independent older sister Kat does, Bianca’s admirer sets up Kat with bad boy Patrick Verona. This 90’s classic is a modern take on William Shakespeare’s A Taming of the Shrew, and is still a cult classic today. The movie stars Julia Stiles, the late Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Larisa Oleynik, and can be streamed on Disney+.

Harriet (2019)

This incredible movie is about the extraordinary true story of heroic freedom fighter against slavery, Harriet Tubman. After escaping her enslaved life in Maryland, Harriet defies all odds and changes the course by liberating hundreds of enslaved black people and greatly impacting the abolitionist movement. This beautiful movie stars Cynthia Erivo, and be streamed on HBO Max.

Legally Blonde (2001)

When Elle Woods is dumped by her believed to be future husband Warner Huntingon III, she sets off for Harvard Law School to win him back. Once she arrives, she realizes that she is so much more than just her looks, and finds new love – within herself! A perfect balance of silliness and charm, Legally Blonde is a classic feel-good feminist movie that reminds us that pink is truly a power color and to never doubt ourselves. This Reese Witherspoon classic can be streamed on Hulu.

Hi everyone! I'm from Boston, MA, and am a Psychology major and Communications minor at Fordham University. I am so excited to be a part of Fordham's HerCampus chapter. Enjoy my articles!