Is Your iPhone Getting Slower With Every New Release?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

This popular and recurrent myth has been recently debunked by the software company Futuremark. The software specialists put the iPhones 5s, 6, 6s and 7 through a test and found that they all maintain the same speed of analysis as before the release of the new iPhones 8 and X. People’s main concern usually shows when there is an update in Apple’s iOS and a lot of the features in their phones start glitching. However, the company revealed this is not the case as the test compared the performances of the iPhones with the iOS 9 (released in 2015) and the latest update iOS 11. The performance was just as good and there seemed to be no problem or notable decrease of speediness.

The conspiracy theory that goes around sustaining that Apple purposely slows down their older devices to encourage iPhone owners to get the newest version by making older models obsolete is nothing but a rumor fueled up by consumer influence and psychological factors that affect the perception of the older iPhone models. There is no concrete proof as to say that the tech company has ever engaged in “planned obsolescence”.

There might be some truth to the fact that your iPhone is being affected by the new version of iOS, as it might include app updates that are likely more advanced than your 5s, but the fact that the new iPhones and a new iOS are released at the same time shouldn’t allow people to blame their performance problem on the new devices. It is important to understand that the problem itself is not on the device you have, but on the type of app you are running on it; app updates will inevitably run more smoothly with the hardware of a new iPhone than with that of past model, simply because technology, if its being done right, is ever changing and should not be limited to one single model of operation.

The fact that there is a shiny new iPhone X out there does not make your iPhone 6s any less better, but it does make your brain compare every single feature between them, which in turn results in believing that “new is better” as all the marketing strategies want to make you believe. 

Picture: Steve Kovach/Business Insider

Sources: Business Insider