Your Guide to Voting in the Midterms: Part I

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With the date to register for voting far past us, it’s time to focus on what exactly is on the ballot this upcoming November. For us in Florida, this is a key election and there is a lot to think about. Not sure what to vote? We got you covered. In this two-part series, we’re going to go over what amendments are going to be voted on, and how you can use your voice to make a difference.

12 constitutional amendments are on the ballot this midterm election, one of the longest list of possible constitutional changes in decades. As young voters, it’s our responsibility to make our voices heard and exercise our civic duty — it’s one of the easiest ways we can make tangible differences in our community.

Amendment 1, Increased Homestead Property Tax Exemption

Real estate and tax jargon aside, this amendment would raise the portion of a home’s value that can be exempted from non-school property taxes. This means homeowners with properties valuing between $100,000 to $125,000 would be eligible for non-school property tax exemptions. This would save homeowners money on their taxes each year, but could end up costing local governments up to $645 million.

YES Vote: Raise the portion of a home’s value that can be exempted from non-school property taxes.

NO Vote: Do not raise the portion of a home’s value that can be exempted from non-school property taxes.

Limitations on Property Tax Assessments

The second amendment regarding taxes, Amendment 2 proposes to make permanent an existing cap on non-homestead property assessments, which limit these property tax assessments to 10% each year. The provisions were scheduled to expire in 2019.

YES Vote: Make the existing cap permanent.

NO Vote: Do not make the existing cap permanent and let it expire in 2019.

Voter Control of Gambling in Florida

This amendment, proposed by citizens, would shift the authority to decide whether or not to expand casino gambling in Florida from the Legislature and voters, to only voters. This could potentially impact the ways that casinos and gambling develop in the state of Florida.

YES Vote: Shift the right to authorize expansions of gambling in Florida to only voters and not legislature.

NO Vote: Do not shift the right to authorize expansions of gambling in Florida to only voters and not legislature.

Voting Restoration Amendment

Amendment 4, also a citizen-led initiative, would restore voting rights to former felons if they have served all of their jail time, except for those who have committed murder or sex offenses. The current policy in Florida has required felons to wait for five years before they are able to vote again — this process can take up to a decade or more with the fact that under Rick Scott each case must be considered individually. If passed, the amendment could impact about 1.5 million voters.

YES Vote: Restore voting rights to former felons if they have served all of their jail time, except for those who have committed murder or sex offenses.

NO Vote: Do not restore voting rights to former felons if they have served all of their jail time, except for those who have committed murder or sex offenses.

Amendment 5, Super-majority Vote Required to Impose, Authorize, or Raise State Taxes or Fees

Amendment 5 would require a ⅔ majority vote in the Legislature (House and Senate) to impose, authorize, or raise state taxes and fees. As of right now, the state legislature can enact new taxes or fees (except corporate income tax) through a majority vote in each chamber. This law would make it so that only a third of the legislation in each chamber would need to approve for it to go through.

YES Vote: Require a ⅔ majority vote to impose, authorize, or raise state taxes

NO Vote: Allow legislature to continue with their current ability of the legislature to impose, authorize, or raise state taxes through simple majority vote.

Amendment 6, Rights of Crime Victims; Judges

The last seven amendments on the ballot this fall are CRC items, amendments placed on the ballot by the Constitution Revision Commission. These items are linked together, so you should be sure you agree or endorse all the items that are linked together.

Amendment 6 would bring together three different proposals, creating a new bill of rights for crime victims as well as regulating judges. These proposals include: requiring courts to facilitate victims’ rights, authorizing victims to enforce their rights, requiring judges and hearing officers to independently interpret statutes, and raising the mandatory retirement age of state justices from 70 to 75.  

YES Vote: Adopt the new crime victims bill of rights.

NO Vote: Do not adopt the new crime victims bill of rights.

Part 2 will feature the last six of these amendments, all of which are also CRC items. Always be sure to do your own research if you are truly not sure — amendments can be worded in tricky ways. And, finally, make sure to vote during the upcoming midterm elections — and get everyone you know to vote, too!

The name is Delanie -- pronounced del uh knee -- and I love to write and wonder about arts, culture, politics, and everything in between. Keep up with me on IG! @delaniegarcia