This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Coconut Grove is known for being a historic neighborhood in Miami, hugging the shores of Biscayne Bay. Being one of the greenest places in Miami, taking a walk through the grove is warm and inviting, with many sidewalk cafes, restaurants, and shops to explore. Those of us native to Miami know the busy streets filled with the traffic and the bustle all too well, so finding a place to enjoy your weekend away from it all is refreshing. After spending quite some time in the area, I have curated a list of places to go to for a perfect day at the grove. 

Brunch at Greenstreet Cafe

There’s no better way to start your day other than a great meal. You may recognize Greenstreet Cafe from the totally Instagram worthy pictures posted online and their velvet couches seen in their outdoor area. Founded 31 years ago, Greenstreet is a long-established corner restaurant that manages to keep a pleasant atmosphere despite attracting a large crowd. My go-to orders include their cinnamon roll pancakes or spinach feta omelet, along with a side of breakfast potatoes and a cup of berries. For you coffee lovers, I highly recommend their cappuccinos, especially their frozen option to cool off on a hot day. Overall, Greenstreet has a great selection of food and drinks on the menu for everyone to enjoy. 

Books & Books

This locally-owned, independent bookstore with multiple locations in South Florida is another great place to stop by on your visit to Coconut Grove. Personally, I visit every time I have brunch at Greenstreet. Since it’s usually a 30 to 40 minute wait, it’s convenient to take a short walk down the street and spend that time browsing through their book collection. Not only are there books, but also cute plushies, stationary, and a small selection of vinyl records upstairs. 

Coconut Grove Saturday Organic Farmer’s Market

Every Saturday, you can find this neighborhood staple located on 3300 Grand Ave. Here you can get to know many locally owned, small businesses with an array of items to sell: clothing, jewelry, antiques, vegan foods, fresh produce, and other products. 

CocoWalk

If farmer’s markets aren’t your thing, be sure to check out CocoWalk, an open-air shopping mall that reopened in 2021 after renovations were made. Several shopping experiences are located here such as Free People Movement, Bluemercury, and smaller boutiques like Gas Bijoux and Edite Mode. There are also a variety of dining options located here, with new stores set to open soon.

The Barnacle Historic State Park

At only two dollars per person, enjoy a quiet visit to this historic state park. Built-in 1891, this waterfront park has been left in its natural state and appears as it did long ago. You can still see the 19th-century home of Ralph Middleton Munroe, one of Coconut Grove’s influential pioneers. This home sits on a large field of grass surrounded by trees, perfect for a picnic or to sit and relax.

These are only a few of the many things to do in this area, and hopefully one of these things invites you to enjoy the beautiful neighborhood of Coconut Grove. Grab your partner or friend and set out to explore what may be your next favorite spot!

Camille Garcia is a senior at Florida International University majoring in Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. She is currently president at BOLD FIU, a student-run strategic communications agency, and hopes to establish a career in advertising post-graduation. She loves fashion, literature, film photography, vinyl record collecting, and trying new things.