Words Speak Louder Than Actions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me… maybe just cause some psychological damage.

Too often we’re led to believe our actions define us. Forget about what we say because it’s all what we do, right?  But how often have you heard words speak louder than actions? Not much, I assume.

As for me, I can easily remember that one time my friend told me I had Cheetah colored hair, or even that one time my boyfriend insulted my outfit choice (I forgive you babe, just never forget.)

Maybe I’m just sensitive, or maybe we should watch what we say, most importantly, how we say it.

Now believe me, I’m never one to hold back from the truth, after all: the truth will set you free. But as time passes and I grow older (and hopefully wiser,) I’ve realized how important it is to take responsibility for what comes out of your mouth.

The promises you keep… and the ones you don’t, are forever a testament of your character. That being said, you’re human and you’re allowed to make mistakes… a crazy concept, I know! You will slip up and possibly say something you don’t mean once in a while.

But for the most part, try living your life with the best intentions. You may think a mean comment or “fun” trash talk isn’t harmless, but it may be affecting others more than you know.

Think twice before you speak. Your words can make or break someone’s day. Your words can light up a smile or shed a tear. Your words can change everything or change nothing.

Your words are everything, use them wisely.