Friends Walking Together 3
Friends Walking Together 3
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Why You Shouldn’t Force a Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In high school, you were used to hanging out with your friends every day between classes, at lunch, or just about anywhere! However, being forced to spend 7+ hours a day at school together can sustain a lot of friendships that won’t survive once everyone goes their separate ways. Although it breaks your heart to see a friendship you value so much go to shambles, things always work out for the best. Here are 3 reasons why you shouldn’t force a friendship:

You’re in different places of your life

High school forces everyone to be together every day! You go to school together, you eat lunch together, you have the same teachers, and you all do the same things. However, when you leave high school EVERYTHING is different. You don’t see your friends every day unless you plan to see them every day. Everyone has a job or a class to go to. You can’t just call your friends to hang out at any given time of the day because they’re living busy lives. Some of your friendships that you cherish so much may seem to be deteriorating because of it and it may be because:

• You don’t share the same goals,

• You’re maturing at different rates,

• You no longer don’t have the same interests,

• Or, you simply can’t relate to anything they say anymore.

It’s hard to accept when this does happen, but it’s important to do so to avoid it bringing you down or being dragged out.

It’s a waste of time and energy

Once you’re out of high school, you have to be prioritizing your time in the relevant activities that will benefit you and your future. The hours you all used to spend hanging out doing nothing are not going to pay the bills! If you feel that you have better places to be spending your time then to be hanging out with them, then GIRL YOU DO! It hurts to admit it, but you’re the only one in charge of your future. Choosing to cut time out of your busy schedule to hang out with friends that don’t bring you happiness or enjoyment anymore is frankly just a waste of time. No offense to them, but time is money and if they’re not lifting up your spirits then you don’t need them. 

It’s going to ruin the image of the friendship you had with them

Oftentimes when you and a friend are drifting apart, you start to fight A LOT! Over stupid things possibly but fights nonetheless. You no longer can see eye to eye and start to resent them for it! Before things get even uglier, just walk away from it! At this point, you both are in different stages of life and can’t seem to understand each other. Anymore fighting or disagreements will only taint the image of all the good times you shared with them.

In my personal experience, some of the friendships that drifted never recovered. Although I was crushed by it, I knew it was for the best. However, there are friendships that I’ve had that have become even stronger now because of the fact that we drifted apart. We came back older, more mature, and understood each other’s busy schedules. Don’t force a friendship! If they really are your friend, you both will be able to rekindle the bond that made you friends in the first place!

You’re in different places of your life

High school forces everyone to be together every day! You go to school together, you eat lunch together, you have the same teachers, and you all do the same things. However, when you leave high school, EVERYTHING is different. You don’t see your friends every day unless you plan to see them every day. Everyone has a job or a class to go to. You can’t just call your friends to hang out at any given time of the day because they’re living busy lives. Some of your friendships that you cherish so much may seem to be deteriorating because of it and it may be because:

-You don’t share the same goals,

-You’re maturing at different rates,

-You no longer don’t have the same interests,

-You simply can’t relate to anything they say anymore.

It’s a waste of time & energy

Once you’re out of high school, you have to prioritze your time in the relevant activities that will benefit you and your future. The hours you all used to spend hanging out doing nothing are not going to pay the bills! If you feel that you have better places to be spending your time then to be hanging out with them, then GIRL YOU DO! It hurts to admit it, but you’re the only one in charge of your future. Choosing to cut time out of your busy schedule to hang out with friends that don’t bring you happiness or enjoyment anymore is frankly just a waste of time. No offense to them, but time is money. If they’re not lifting up your spirits, then you don’t need them. 

It will ruin the image of your friendship

Oftentimes, when you and a friend are drifting apart, you start to fight A LOT! Over stupid things possibly but fights nonetheless. You no longer can see eye to eye and start to resent them for it! Before things get even uglier, just walk away from it! At this point, you both are in different stages of life and can’t seem to understand each other. Anymore fighting or disagreements will only taint the image of all the good times you shared with them.

In my personal experience, some of the friendships that drifted never recovered. Although I was crushed by it, I knew it was for the best. However, there are friendships that I’ve had that are even stronger now because we drifted apart. We came back older, more mature, and understood each other’s busy schedules. Don’t force a friendship! If they really are your friend, you both will be able to rekindle the bond that made you friends in the first place!

Natalia Pineiro is a blogger, social media manager, and college student at Florida International University. Born and raised in Miami, Natalia has always adored how she was able to make longlasting friendships and connections with people from all over the world. South Florida is an extremely culturally diverse environment that makes it one of the most unique places in the world and Natalia couldn't be more proud of it. The passion she has for meeting people of different cultures has pushed her to travel to many destinations to explore new languages, food, and more! She loves sharing her experiences through blog posts, video editing, photography, and more!