This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Lately, podcasts have been my thing. If you don’t know what a podcast is, let me enlighten you. Podcasts are essentially a radio, but instead of it reaching a general audience, it targets a specific group of people. This can be found on streaming devices such as spotify, apple podcasts, apple music, and more. When you want to take a break from listening from your music, podcasts are the way to go. Here are some reasons you should start listening to podcasts:  

Find your niche

Want to know how to improve your instagram feed? There’s a podcast for that. Want to know how to start and expand your own business? There’s also a podcast for that. Want to just listen to some good ol’ comedy? YES, there’s a podcast for that too. The great thing about podcasts is that each one has their own niche, therefore, do some research and see if you can find a podcast that fits your taste and liking. Different podcasts have a variety of content: from education to entertainment to lifestyle–there has to be something that’ll suit your style.

It’s FREE!

A college student’s favorite word: f r e e. As I said before, finding your perfect podcast is finding one that talks about your passions, what you want to learn.. Basically, what excites you. It is one of the best ways really to learn, so I’d say learning for free is a win win. Overall, podcasts are so accessible and so entertaining, what’s not to love?

Feels as if you have company

It’s true, listening to podcasts really makes you feel as if you have company when you’re typical everyday things. Along with podcasts talking about certain subjects, they do it in a style in which makes it seem as its seamless conversation. That’s truly what I feel attracts a lot of audiences: the way the speaker makes the audience feels as if they are included in the conversation.

For the non bookworms

Reading has never been my forte, so to speak. But that’s okay, it just means I’m more audio/visual learner. I know a lot of people, especially those in college and those who have jobs, have a lot on their plate. In other words, reading isn’t necessarily top priority.  Podcasts allow you to learn more about what interests you without having to open a book and as I said before, you can listen anytime

Get inspired

A lot of what fuels my inspiration for the day is definitely listening to my podcasts, or at least the more motivated centered podcasts. I usually like to start my morning during my commute with turning on an episode from a podcast and let allll the information soak in. The bets part is, you can get inspired when you feel like you’re being unproductive. Listening during your commute, doing your laundry, walking to class–anytime of the day is best time to listen to a podcast.

Luisa is a freshman at Florida International University majoring in Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. Not only does she love to write, but she enjoys a good aesthetic. She loves to travel, find cute spots in Miami (or elsewhere), take photos wherever she goes, and especially being Colombian, she loves to have her daily dose of coffee!