This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As 2018 is coming to an end, we start steering into the holiday section of the year. Usually things associated with the holidays include presents, food, and New Year’s resolutions. Throughout the months of November and December, the focus of people’s thoughts tend to be of family, love and peace. Although, as we near the end of December and the beginning of January, there’s typically one thought in most people’s minds: New Year’s resolutions. For some people, these resolutions are fulfilled throughout the upcoming year but for most people, New Year’s resolutions absolutely do not work.

Here are some reasons as to why these resolutions don’t work:

1. People are not consistent with their resolutions.

When it comes to New Year’s resolutions, not a lot of people are consistent with their goals. They tend to be quite consistent with their goals for a couple weeks and maybe even a month or two, but they end up quitting quite quickly.

2. The resolutions set are not realistic.

There are some cases where not only are the resolutions set ridiculous, but the time frame people give themselves is just downright unrealistic. Some people want to lose 30 pounds in one month, others want to read one book every day for a whole year (that one sounds attainable but it isn’t), some people may even try to quit smoking cold turkey on January 1st.

3. Some people try to rush a dramatic lifestyle change.

A lot of people try to rush into a resolution immediately on January 1st. A huge lifestyle change can’t be achieved overnight. Sometimes a huge change can be a weight loss goal, trying to quit smoking, or trying to use less technology. Resolutions like the ones stated require a gradual and slow change in your everyday life, not an abrupt change. A lot of people don’t understand that so they end up having issues with their resolutions.

4. They make too many resolutions.

There’s only 365 days in a year and although that seems like a lot, it isn’t! Anyone can agree with the fact that a year passes by quick and sometimes having too many resolutions can be overwhelming. The whole year will pass by and there will most probably be quite a few resolutions that were not fulfilled.

5. The resolutions are not executed correctly.

Resolutions can be achieved, but only if you keep track of the resolutions at hand. This is crucial with resolutions that are completely out of a person’s regular schedule. Some things that can help with this issue include keeping a journal, having a buddy to help you stay in check, and there may even be an app you can download to help you.

With that being said, good habits can help you fulfill your resolutions this coming 2019. Just try to avoid these common mistakes.

Angely is a Biology major on a Pre-Med track, she is hoping to be either a Neurologist or Oncologist in the future. She has a high interest in the Environmental Sciences and hopes to get her Master's degree and Ph.D in Environmental Sciences in order to do research on coral reefs. She is a volunteer at Nicklaus Children's Hospital and Co-Fundraising chair for Tri Beta.