Why I Went Back To Puerto Rico for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

A lot of people asked me: “Why are you going back to Puerto Rico for Christmas break?” It’s an understandable question, since hurricane Maria pretty much shattered the electrical system of the island, caused shortages of food and water and destroyed many homes. But with my family and friends there, how could I not go back?

At first, it was shocking to see many trees without leaves and buildings without roofs. A lot of places I used to go to as a child are now a blank space of nothing. The Puerto Rico I left my freshman year was not the same one I was coming back to.

As depressing as this may sound, it did not stop Puerto Ricans from building themselves up and celebrating the holidays. Because if there is one thing we know how to do is how to throw a good party!

On Christmas Eve, I went to my aunt’s house where luckily the neighborhood had power. The house was decorated with Christmas lights, the holiday playlist was on and the kitchen was filled with the traditional “arroz con gandules, pavo y ensalada de papa”. As a family, we played games all night and talked about the positive things that have happened to us this year. Later that night, a neighbor dressed up like Santa and drove around in his sleigh (in reality it was a car with speakers decorated like a sleigh). He parked in front of the houses to give presents to the kids. The night was filled with so much joy and fun that it felt like any other Christmas.

Another iconic night was a tradition we have in my neighborhood where people decorate their golf carts with Christmas themed paraphernalia and parade around the community. They all end up in this big party in a plaza that has food and live music. I thought it was going to be empty but it was packed with families all dressed up in their Christmas costumes and ugly sweaters.

The other days on the island were also filled with a lot of excitement. I went to the beach with my friends, went out to our favorite bars, walked around the Old San Juan and even went to the movies to watch “The Greatest Showman” which I greatly recommend to all. And every of those places were filled with smiling faces and so much energy.

Maybe it was the excitement of ending the dreadful year or the love we have for the holidays, but Puerto Rico was alive this Christmas Break. Hurricane Maria might have taken away our electricity and the roofs over our heads, but it did not take away our spirit or motivation to move forward.

The time I spent back home was different but in a good way. It showed me that in the hardest times, people could still find the good in life. Just like professor Albus Dumbledor said, “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”  

I'm a puertorican leaving in Miami! Currently a senior at FIU majoring in journalism with a minor in spanish.