This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

New York City is visited by millions of people all over the world. One of the main reasons why it attracts so many students, in particular, is because of how diverse the city is and how packed the city is with opportunity. Personally, when I was in high school, I fell in love with New York and my mind was set to studying there for college. However, in the end, there were several factors that changed my mind, even after I applied to about seven schools in the city. 

Naive 

Considering I was pretty much raised in one of the safest suburbs in South Florida, moving to the Big Apple would not have ended well. Now, I already go to New York almost every fall with my family to visit, and even after the sixth time going, I still cannot figure out the metro or understand streets that well. Maybe it would have been different if I lived there, maybe I would have eventually figured it out, but, as of now, I think I’ll just let my dad figure out the directions. Also, I like to see the good in people, and I know if I were to live in New York, I would want to help every homeless person I see. Of course, helping people is great but, you never know someone’s intentions, and I know the younger me would definitely get into some trouble for trusting someone a little too much.

Too Expensive

Don’t get me wrong, I love going to NYC for the food and the shopping. However, since there’s a lot of tourism in the city, everything is insanely expensive. Tthe more people, the more demand there is for things, and the higher the demand, the higher the price will go. I recently went with my family to New York and we decided to eat at a Mexican restaurant that was very nice. However, the tacos were nothing impressive and we ended up spending almost $200 in total just for my family of four. The next time I go, I’ll have to survive off of Chipotle and Starbucks, because as a college student, my wallet won’t be able to afford anything more than that. Furthermore, most students that study in universities like Fordham, New York University, and The New School ask for a whopping $65,000 for their annual tuition – and that’s living in a dorm. Now, if you’re considering living in an apartment, studios are up to about $2,000 a month! In my case, none of the universities I got into in NYC were generous with scholarships either, further influencing my decision on staying in state. 

I Would Have Been Lonely

The reason I wanted to go to New York so bad was because I thought I wanted to be completely by myself. However, since I stayed home and my brother left to a university that is a seven-hour drive away, he explained to me that he gets lonely a lot and that being so far away from South Florida was definitely a culture shock for him. Then, I realized how privileged I am and how I would have struggled to adjust living away from my friends and family. Even when I am not home for a few days because of how busy I get at school, I start to get homesick, so I can only imagine how it’s like to be even further away. 

Too Hectic

Every city is hectic, but I feel like New York takes it to a different level. Maybe it’s just me but I cannot stand hearing police and ambulance sirens all night in a hotel room. It made me miss the silence and comfort of my room back home. Thankfully, I noticed this sooner than later because if not I would have regretted it. Also, during the holiday season, it is practically impossible to walk through fifth avenue. Not only that, but it’s hard for the police to manage so many people, and personally, it makes me anxious. So for now, New York is strictly just to visit. 

In a nutshell, The City That Never Sleeps is a beautiful place, don’t get me wrong that’s why my family goes every year. Nonetheless, I have noticed I wouldn’t have liked it simply because I’m too naive, living in the city is crazy expensive, I’d miss my family and overall, just too loud. In the end, New York will always be one of the biggest capitals of the world, and it’s magic will live on for centuries to come.

Maria is a sophomore at Florida International University studying Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. She loves to travel to Europe and her favorite thing to do is sing and play the guitar. She also loves photography and fashion and enjoys being with her family and her dog. She is originally from College Station, Texas, but her family is Venezuelan and Puerto Rican.