Scoop Durham
Scoop Durham
Jeanie Li.
Life > Experiences

Why everyone should experience Art Basel Miami at least once in their life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Art Basel Miami is by far one of the most looked forward to events at the end of the year and here’s why. 

It is art that is full of color and mesmerizing shapes. The intricacies of art in Wynwood, Miami Design District, Museums, or Miami Beach is absolutely worth the traffic and parking spot hunt. If you want to experience art that is unique, innovative, insightful, and one of a kind then the exhibitions at Art Basel Miami is the way to go. There are many locations where the pieces of work will display and it is mostly dependent on the genre or preference by the artist. For instance, Carlos Betancourt created an installation called What Lies Beneath: Tipping Point, 2021, and it was displayed in the pool at the hotel to showcase an immersive iceberg. A piece of work like that would not do well in an area where no body of water is found underneath it. 

There are many installations that are free and open to the public over the span of 5 days. I recently attended the last day and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I was determined to experience this once-in-a-lifetime event, with limited edition art and it allowed me to open my eyes and see art for what it really is. The motion of the animations. The glow from the lights. The smell from the exhibits. The awe from people’s faces. It all translates in more than one form and is digested in relatively the same appreciation. 

Not only is Art Basel a great photo parlor but a great connection network. I met so many cool artists and soon-to-be creators. The community of artists is loving and accepting. It is constantly bringing on new age and space for all to enjoy. 

If there is anything you get from this article, it is to go out and take the risk. Many events are available to us but it is a matter of whether we choose to act upon the opportunity or not. 

#ArtBaselMiami2021

Kimora is a writer from the HerCampus Chapter at Florida International University. *Her current status: vlogging. Join the #kimmunity