This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Writing is one of the smallest skills that everyone uses, not only in the workplace but really in everything we do. Now, I find it pretty ironic for me to say you should strengthen your writing skills, considering I am a Public Relations major. However, I believe it is one of the skills you need to be advanced in. For instance, I found myself writing emails to professors for my friends throughout high school and (believe it or not) college. Being able to communicate with someone in a professional and clear manner not only will make you look knowledgable but more reliable at your job. Moreover, it doesn’t matter if you’re studying business, engineering, medicine, or even theater, all of these industries in the workplace are vital to make you a more qualified professional. 

On the other hand, in a more casual environment, I believe owning a journal and documenting your feelings is always a great thing to do. Not only are you documenting your emotions/experiences and relieving stress, but your writing flow can improve as mine has.

Overall, I think writing has changed our world for the better since the beginning of time when it was only just a way to communicate with one another. Now, it is an asset in the professional world and a form of tranquility in someone’s personal world. 

Maria is a sophomore at Florida International University studying Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. She loves to travel to Europe and her favorite thing to do is sing and play the guitar. She also loves photography and fashion and enjoys being with her family and her dog. She is originally from College Station, Texas, but her family is Venezuelan and Puerto Rican.