Why a Cruise Should Be Your Next GetAway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

When it comes to planning your next vacation throughout the semester, just to get a breather from the craziness of school and work, you want to make sure you pick something worth your time. Most people think of taking a trip to New York City, California, or anything that is trendy and fun, it’s pretty rare that people decide to go on a cruise as their next getaway. As I tell everyone I know, cruises are my ultimate and favorite vacations ever; there’s so much to do while traveling across the ocean. The fact that you can pick the length of your trip is amazing. It can be a weekend, a week, two weeks or even a month long.

I’m here let you know why you should consider booking a cruise as your next trip. 

Photo credits

Visit new destinations

Depending on what cruise you choose, you will be able to explore new destinations without worrying about catching a plane to get there! In the meantime, between destinations, you get to enjoy what the cruise ship has to offer, as well as catching up on some suntanning. You can experience new cultures, feel new climates, and see new places that you’ve never gotten to before. Imagine the great pictures you will get to take throughout your vacation!

Photo credits

Onboard activities 

The onboard itinerary is endless! When you aren’t exploring a new place or sunbathing, you can do so much more on the ship. Depending on the cruise you choose, you can see what activities are being offered throughout the day. For example, there’s rock climbing, mini golf, an arcade, bowling, big water slides, zip lining and general games for all ship guests. Of course, all these activities depend on the cruise that you end up choosing but each ship has unique activities to offer. At night, there are different shows you can watch as well as go to the dance parties. You can never get bored on the ship! 

Photo credits

Amazing food, whenever you please

Let’s talk about food; when on vacation, calories don’t exist! I love to try new food wherever I go and a cruise is definitely the place to explore your taste buds. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is all free because you already paid before entering the ship. There’s buffets with so many different food options, anywhere from American to Japanese to Italian. If you’re hungry inbetween lunch and dinner time, around 5 PM, the ship has snacks and desserts to enjoy or you can order room service. At night time, you can pick from the complimentary restaurants they have to offer that serve higher-quality food or if you don’t want to pick one of those restaurants, you can head to the top deck where the buffets are.

Pick a price

Maybe you’re someone that has always been wanting to plan a cruise but you’re afraid it will be too expensive. You can browse around until you find a cruise that fits your budget! Weekend cruises for a college student are great and totally affordable. A weekend cruise is usually a Friday, Saturday, Sunday and the ship returns on a Monday. An estimate of a weekend cruise per person could be somewhere between $300-$400. A week cruise per person could be around $900-$1000. Think about it, you might be saving more in comparison to going somewhere by plane where you have to pay for a flight, a hotel and every meal you have.

Once you book a cruise, no more stressing

The best part about a cruise is that everything is in one. No need to worry about purchasing a flight, booking a hotel, renting a car for transportation, and spending money on every meal. Say goodbye to all that stress on a cruise. Only worries would be packing for your vacation and getting transportation to and from the ship. The cruise will take you to all your destinations, while staying in the same room and having unlimited access to food. This really is a dream vacation!

Mariangel Diaz is currently a junior at Florida International University and a staff writer for Her Campus. Her passion for writing is immense and she writes articles about based on what inspires her and what takes her on an adventure. She attended Saint Brendan Catholic High School where she was apart of the schools campus ministry, where she had to write and prepare talks for her peers. That's where she grew the courage to talk in front of others and where she was able to practice her writing skills when it came to putting a speech together. At the high school, she was also on the dance team. She has been dancing since she was four years old and currently is a dance instructor where she gets to expand on her other creative side which is, choreographing. Mariangel loves all things that involve creativity and is eager to inspire, guide and give tips to readers! Stay tuned for upcoming articles!