Why is everyone obsessed with Target?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s no secret the 2020 was the pinnacle year for e-commerce businesses. Forbes magazine claims that in 12 months, consumers spent $791.7 billion online with U.S. merchants, notching a 32.4% increase from the year prior. The pandemic spurred big box retailers like Target, Walmart and Costco to become even more competitive in the digital space, challenging juggernaut e-commerce retailors like Amazon. Ever since the pandemic, Target has managed to boost its sales over 20%, including $9 billion in sales taken from competitors. Let’s not forget their massive hold on women, especially young college women that do daily target runs and post to TikTok and Instagram. So what gives? Why are girls so obsessed with shopping at this superstore and why it has such a cultural hold on our society? The simple answer is that majority of Target’s products are mainly marketed toward women and families. Products like shaving cream, scented body scrubs, college dorm items, kitchen appliances, clothes and the list goes on. However, it’s more than just the products they sell, since a lot of these products can be easily found in other stores such as Walmart and Amazon. So what makes Target to special compared to it’s competitors? Well, it’s best to understand the over consumption of Target due to their marketing strategies and the internet obsession with the Superstore.

store layout

Compared to it’s competitors, Target manages to design the perfect layout for their stores that make for a more relaxing and comforting experience. Unlike the industrial and busy layouts from stores like Costco or Walmart, Target is always clean and well-organized. Some customers claim that it calms their anxiety and is weirdly always a perfect temperature inside. And Target’s store layout is easy to get distracted in, there is a main pathway that is the center and other paths that lead to other little sections of the store. Even though it is a nice and comforting store, it’s definitely a capitalism trap, convincing customers that they’re buying necessities so it’s ok to spend more than usual. We all know that one person that simply says they’re going into Target to get one thing, just to simply come out with 10 more items that they simply did not need. This has to be one of Target’s best marketing strategies that manages to get customers to stay in the store longer and increase their sales, and it sure is effective. Not only is the layout so relaxing, it’s a very aesthetically pleasing store, with all the locations having very bright lights and minimal to no music which makes the stores feel less over-stimulating to it’s customers.

a starbucks inside every target location

Whoever initiated the idea to have a Starbucks in every Target location should have gotten a raise since this is a very brilliant marketing strategy. It’s very convenient for customers to get a drink while shopping at Target, makes for a better shopping experience. It automatically puts yourself into this “Treat yourself” mode and boosts serotonin levels like crazy. Let’s not forget the under $5 budget section that is in the front of the Starbucks, they really got you in a chokehold at this point. The multiple crafts, knick-knacks, room décor, garden tool, you’re hooked.

TARGET HAULS

So why does this particular chain have such a dedicated, loyal following? Target is a very middle-class store with most of the prices being very affordable for most people, especially college students that don’t have much money while in school. It’s not the most budget friendly store, but much of their stuff is priced fairly and the quality of the items do deliver. However, some people have argued a lot of the products sold at target are the epitome of premium mediocrity. Premium mediocrity is a pattern of consumption that publicly signals upward mobile aspirations, with consciously insincere pretensions to refined taste, while navigating the realities of inexorable downward mobility with sincere anxiety. Basically Target markets its products as an “almost luxury” quality. Sure you can get the same items at Walmart or Amazon but Target is much nicer and the experience is unforgettable. Not to mention the Target Hauls on social media makes viewers more inclined to shop at Target. Beauty skincare hauls, random item hauls, and clothes are just some examples.

@maddie_burch

Comment your fav thing!! Follow to see a haul coming soon😍 #targetfinds #targethaul #targetmusthaves #fashion #foryou

♬ Peaches – Justin Bieber
@briannaancheta

Target must-haves pt13! ✨ link in bio, use AT300 for 30% off🥰@therabreath #therabreath #targetmusthaves #targethaul #targetfinds #tiktokmademebuyit

♬ original sound – Brianna Ancheta

class distinction

Class distinction tends to play a major role on who shops at Target, which makes consumers feel like the products are a better quality and better customer service. But what about Walmart? They literally offer the same products than any other Target. Therefore, leads to an interesting class dynamic between Target and Walmart shoppers. With all these marketing strategies and other efforts Target manages to make it’s stores seem like they’re more premium-design forward and “boogie”. Target shoppers love the feeling of getting good deals and an upgraded shopping experience compared to other retailors. While Walmart is all about budgeting, offering more perks and bargains than Target. However, take out the price perks and different services, Walmart does not have the best reputation. Most people don’t brag or post about going to Walmart as much as they do Target. Sometimes people have to go to Walmart because they need to but Target feels like the more elevated choice. Shopping at Target feels indulgent and productive at the same time, while Walmart is super chaotic and overwhelming. Not to mention there is a lot of negative connotation for those that shop at Walmart, with a majority of customers that are received as “trashy” or “white trash” due to 60% of Walmart’s customers being white/Caucasian. Also, Walmart stores tend to be messy and disorganized whereas, Target is more organized and aesthetically pleasing.

HOME DECOR AND CLOTHING

What every college girl strives to have always two things: the cutest home décor for dorms and cute, trendy clothes. Target just so happens to carry both those things. With the array of Tiktok and Instagram reels on social media, it makes women more intrigued to go to target and shop these items. Target has managed to appeal to the Gen Z taste by selling products that imitate a higher end style at a more affordable price. For instance, Target manages to carry a lot of home décor and furniture that is very trendy and look like it’s copied from Pinterest. It’s very hard to walk out of Target and not think about redecorating your room when you are surrounded by cute, Pinterest worthy home décor.

Moreover, Target is constantly creating new collections for clothing. Whether it’s casual clothing, cute clothes for school, dresses, or swimsuits, they literally have everything. And it’s not only for women, they have a kids section, Men’s, and Junior’s section in every location. Majority of Target stores are also in the loop when it comes to fashion trends, which can be difficult for a majority of other stores due to micro trends and fast fashion retailors pushing out new trends every day.

Target also pushes inclusivity when it comes to clothing too. With a lot of plus size clothes to choose from, Target is probably one of the only retailors that have successfully marketed to plus-size women.

Overall, Target has a really good reputation among not only college women but a lot of Americans. With Target’s demographic mainly being women between the ages of 18 to 44 as of 2022. Although most of the stores tend to attract a white customer base, there has been a continuous rise among minorities over the past few years. Even before the pandemic, Target has always been labeled a very premium-quality store with reasonable prices. So, it’s very understandable where all the hype is coming from and why a lot of younger women are absolutely love shopping at Target.

Born and raised in Miami, FL, Amanda Ultimo is a Management and International Business major at The University of Georgia. Amanda has served as Lead Campus Ambassador for The Women's Network's FIU chapter and writer for HerCampus FIU, both organization that help to empower collegiate women.