andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What’s New to Disney in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Walt Disney World had announced several new additions to be made during last year’s D23 Expo. Disney’s expansions are currently scheduled up to 2021. Luckily for us, there are several new projects that are announced to be completed this year.

Beginning in Magic Kingdom, besides minor aesthetic changes, there is one big addition that visitors are looking forward to. The TRON attraction is modeled after the original attraction in Shanghai Disneyland. Park visitors will be riding a bike-style ride vehicle as they race on this coaster. Disney announced that the opening date is likely to be in 2021, but fingers crossed the TRON attraction will be finished by the end of the year. 

(Artwork for TRON attraction in Magic Kingdom. Image Credit: Disney)

Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be opening the first ever attraction ever to star Mickey and his gang (shocking, I know!) early this March. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is a train ride led by Engineer Goofy with a catchy theme song. Besides from ride-exclusive merchandise, we have yet to see what else is coming for this new attraction.

(Released artwork of M&M Runaway Railway. Image Credit: Disney)

The Mickey Shorts Theater is also set to open this year in Hollywood Studios. It will be playing original shorts starring Mickey Mouse and photo locations in the theater. 

(Artwork for the Mickey Shorts Theater. Image Credit: Disney)

Epcot is the theme park that sounds like it has the most to offer (on the contrary to Animal Kingdom, which has no major announcements for this year). Three new films are going to be shown in various pavilions, such as “Awesome Planet” in the Land pavilion, “Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360” in the Canada pavilion, and a “Beauty and the Beast” sing-a-long in the France pavilion. Additionally, the new night-time show “Harmonious” was said to be the largest production Disney has ever released in a Disney park. Disney Parks Blog announced the show will “feature massive floating set pieces, custom-built LED panels, choreographed moving fountains, lights, pyrotechnics, lasers and more.”

(New films coming to Epcot. Image Credit: Disney)

The new Space 220 restaurant in Future World is -you guessed it- a space-themed experience. The restaurant has a modern American menu and will make guests feel like they are on a special space excursion instead of an Orlando theme park. Disney is also opening yet another new attraction based on the hit Pixar film: Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure. The trackless ride originally opened in Disneyland Paris and will be making its appearance in Florida hopefully this summer.

(Artwork for Space 220. Image Credit: Disney)

Emma is a sophomore at Florida International University studying Broadcast Media. She is from Miami and loves entertainment (music, tv shows, movies) and hopes to become an entertainment reporter after college. She is also involved on campus in her Panhellenic Council organization.