Career

What Working in Corporate America Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s officially been three months since I landed my first internship- one that just so happens to qualify for falling into the ‘corporate america’ job sector. This is my first ‘big girl’ job, meaning that this is the first job I’ve ever had where there is a lot of pressure, stress, deadlines and caffeine involved. In the short span that I have been interning there have been many ups and downs. These experiences have taught me more about myself and ‘corporate america’ than I ever imagined. 

1. Being the intern doesn’t always mean fetching coffee and doing copies. I’d be lying if I said I haven’t been asked to go get coffee at least once during my time at my internship, however my responsibilities have gone much deeper than this. I have learned more than ever being in a real work environment and surrounded by individuals who do the work I hope to do full-time in the future. 

2.  The power hierarchy in the workplace is very real. In my personal experience I have learned that sometimes the people in power (aka the ‘top dogs’) will not treat you as their equals and sadly look down on others and do not respect the thoughts/ideas other employees have (it should be noted that while this has been what I’ve seen firsthand at my internship, not every ‘corporate america’ job is like this).

3. The 9-5 struggle is not one thats easy to adjust to. Working for eight hours a day is hard enough, but sitting down all day and frying your eyeballs in front of a computer screen makes it even harder. It’s a schedule that I personally am still adjusting to. It can be hard to motivate yourself to do absolutely anything after coming home from your 9-5, like working out or going out. However, its not impossible, you just really have to push yourself. 

4. Meetings can be all day events, however there’s usually free food involved, so that’s always cool. I have sat in on a couple of meetings and they have all been ALL day events. Safe to say its not the most exciting thing ever, however sitting in on these meetings have taught me so much. While the meetings are long, lunch is always given to you for free. 

5. Caffeine is like water in the workplace. I have seen employees go through caffeinated drinks (soda, coffee, energizing drinks, etc.) like they are drinking water. I used to think I was addicted to coffee; boy was I wrong. 

6. The environment you work in is really a big ‘make it or break it’ factor. The overall environment you work in makes up a lot of your work experience. If not surrounded by the right management, coworkers, rules, etc. it can be a huge deal breaker. It’s important to work in an environment that is supportive, uplifting, collaborative, accepting, etc. The job/internship you walk into everyday should be one that excites you, and you should never settle for less. 

Ultimately my internship in a ‘corporate america’ position has taught me a lot about myself, others and my skills. While not every experience has been a positive one, even the negative experiences have taught me a valuable lesson.