matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What to Know About the Coronavirus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With the ongoing outbreak of the Coronavirus, it is important to know how not only protect yourself from the virus but how to recognize the signs and symptoms. 

A little background: the Coronavirus outbreak began in China and has since spread to the U.S. After the first reported case in the U.S., the government has advised all Americans to not take any trips to China for the time being. People who have been infected in different countries have mainly been recent travelers to China. The amount of Coronavirus cases has surpassed 9,000- with over 200 lives taken from the virus. 99% of coronavirus cases have been found in mainland China. 

The coronavirus has seven different forms that can infect humans. The virus typically attacks the respiratory system. The symptoms are often similar to those that occur with a common cold. These include but are not limited to fever, cough shortness of breath, fatigue and muscle pain. The virus is mainly spread through exposure to coughs or sneezes from an infected person. It should also be noted that as for now masks are not necessary to protect yourself. 

As for now, coronavirus does not impose a huge threat to Americans. However, like always we should remember to wash our hands, take care of yourself and keep updated on new advisories.