This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Every year I find myself thinking how as time passes, I feel as though the holidays are becoming more commercialized as ever. Due to the fact that I work in the retail industry, I was able to witness firsthand just how much people actually spend and consume during the holidays. This thanksgiving day, I was scheduled to work, and found the store incredibly hectic. The purpose of thanksgiving is to be grateful and thankful for everything you have, yet people were actually frustrated and fighting when they could not get the item that they simply “had to have” or needed in their life.”

It’s almost like society as a whole wishes to rid ourselves of the true meaning behind the holiday season. A couple of years ago, stores weren’t even open on thanksgiving day and all shopping was done on black Friday. But please remember, that eventually, all your shopping will be completed– and trust me, you will find all the gifts you need for your loved ones. Do not forget about taking time to actually enjoy the holidays and spend time with your loved ones. We concentrate a great amount of worrying about finding the perfect gift without taking time to appreciate what we already have. 

The same applies to Christmas. As a child, your greatest concern was how many presents you’re going to receive and whether or not you got the most coveted toy. Growing up, one realizes that it becomes less about the gifts and more about celebrating life and having a good time with family, friends and loved ones. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am not shaming anyone for going out and shopping, I am guilty of walking around the mall and scoping the best deals, just ensure that you don’t allow trivial things to consume you. Do not get discouraged if you do not get what you want, and don’t revolve the holidays around materialistic things. It’s time to take in the holiday spirit, be happy about the semester ending, and getting ready to receive a new year. I wish you all the best this holiday season! 

– 

K

thumbnail photo courtesy: http://work.cocorrina.com/Hand-Lettering

gif: https://media.giphy.com/media/26FLeFK9dfmg6xq12/giphy.gif