What Harry Styles Headlining Coachella Means for His Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

This past week, Harry Styles has headlined Coachella for both of its weekends. Present were sparkly outfits, special guests, new songs, and hundreds of thousands of fans!

On Friday, April 17, Styles headlined Coachella for the first time in his career and did so with a bang. Harry opened his Coachella debut with his newly released single, As It Was, which marked the first time the song is ever heard live. During his set, Styles performed a variety of his hit songs, including Golden, Adore You, and Sign of the Times. Not only did he also perform two new songs from his highly anticipated upcoming third album Harry’s House, but Styles also brought in special guest Shania Twain during his performance. Styles performed Boyfriends and Late Night Talking, which were the two new songs, and the crowd went wild. Shania Twain made her way to the stage in the middle of Styles’ performance and the duo sang two of her classics, Man! I Feel Like A Woman and Still The One.

Harry Styles’ Coachella debut on weekend 1 was definitely one to remember, but there’s no doubt that his second appearance on April 22 blew the first one away. Just like he did the first weekend, Styles also performed the same set of songs, but he had a few surprises waiting for his fans. He performed his unreleased song, Medicine, which is very popular among his fans. Adding to the list of surprises, Harry also brought fellow superstar and friend, Lizzo, on stage with him. Styles and Lizzo performed a rendition of Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive and covered One Direction’s What Makes You Beautiful.

Safe to say, Harry Styles made history at his Coachella debut. Coachella’s capacity is about 125,000 and Harry’s weekend 1 set was watched by at least 100,000 people. This estimate only counts the amount of people that were physically there. Coachella also live-streamed Harry’s performance, as well as other acts, and the broadcast was tuned into by over 180,000 viewers. So what does this mean for Harry’s career?

Styles has certainly grown in his career, going from his One Direction days to a full-on rockstar, and he’s only getting started. His new single, As It Was, broke the Spotify record for the most-streamed song globally in a single day, with 21.6 million streams. The song also became the most-streamed song in the U.S. in a single day in Spotify history. With the upcoming release of his third album, Harry’s House, Harry Styles is most likely to break some more records with his music and will only continue to make his mark on the world.

Nicolle Hernandez is the Treasurer and Social Media Assistant at the Her Campus at Florida International University (FIU) chapter. As Treasurer, she oversees the chapter's finances and funding. In her role as the Social Media Assistant, Nicolle works with the social media team to publish a variety of content, including graphic design posts, video content, member-specific content, and more. Nicolle was also a writer for Her Campus FIU during the Spring 2022 term, in which she focused mainly on entertainment topics. At Florida International University, Nicolle is a Digital Communication and Media major with a concentration in Digital Journalism. She is also pursuing a minor in Social Media and E-Marketing Analytics. As a result of her dedication to her studies, Nicolle has been awarded several Dean’s List recognitions. Being a part of Her Campus has given Nicolle a great sense of pride and individuality. She considers herself grateful to have gotten the opportunity to explore her passion for writing. In her free time, Nicolle enjoys listening to music, watching rom-com movies, and traveling the world.