What to Expect at Halloween Horror Nights This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Following the footsteps of iconic 80s horror films, Halloween Horror Nights is returning this year with a reboot on its own. 

Halloween Horror Nights, running on select nights from September 6th through November 2nd, is an event hosted by Universal Orlando in their Universal Studios theme park. This year, there is so much to expect from Halloween Horror Nights [HHN]- they are bringing cult classics such as Stranger Things and Ghostbusters back to life. As well as, the original haunted houses, live entertainment, scare zones, merchandise, exclusive food, and more.

(Image Credit: Universal Orlando)

Halloween Horror Nights has been around for 29 years, starting in 1991. HHN 29 is going to consist of 10 haunted houses, 5 scare zones, and 2 live nighttime shows.

Here is a short summary of this year’s lineup for Halloween Horror Nights 29.

1. Netlix’s Stranger Things

For the second year in a row, Stranger Things is back! Following seasons 2 and 3, get ready to travel to Hawkins. Visit some of the most thrilling scenes and characters of the Netflix original series, such as the Starcourt Mall, Demodogs, and even more.

(Image Credit: Universal Orlando)

2. Jordan Peele’s Us

Following in the footsteps of Adelaide Wilson and her evil doppelganger Red, Jordan Peele’s Us will take you to the Santa Cruz Pier, the infamous fun house, the underground tunnels, and the Wilson’s summer home. 

3. Universal Monsters

Universal Pictures is turning one of the most famous franchises – Universal Monsters – into a haunted house at this year’s event. The house will follow classics such as Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstein’s monster, the Creature of the Black Lagoon, the Mummy, and possibly even more through each monster’s realm.

4. Ghostbusters

Who you gonna call? Sony Pictures’ Ghostbusters is making a grand entrance at HHN 29. The house is expected to have scenes from the 1984 film and will take you face-to-face with the Slimer, Gozer the Gozerian, Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, and more.

(Image Credit: Universal Orlando)

5. Killer Klowns from Outer Space 

Returning from last year, Killer Klowns from Outer Space is back and, featuring even more characters and terror from the cult classic film. Expect the sweet smell of fair food, but the fear of killer clowns.

6. House of 1000 Corpses

Rob Zombie’s horror masterpiece House of 1000 Corpses is another cult horror film coming to life at HHN 29.  Be on the lookout for Captain Spaulding in the Museum of Monsters and Madmen, and the Firefly family. 

7. Depths of Fear

An original house, “Depths of Fear” dives deep into the unknown realms of the water. Here, be prepared to encounter deadly underwater creatures known as “Mouthbrooders” in an underwater mining facility.

(Image Credit: Universal Orlando)

8. Graveyard Games

Ghosts will come to haunt you at this Universal original haunted house. Two teenagers’ rude and disrespectful behavior causes immediate consequences in this graveyard. As you roam through the graveyard, coffins will be open and spirits will be awoken.

9. Nightingales: Blood Pit

Remember those history lessons about ancient Rome and those bloody gladiator games? Get ready for that, but worse. The blood attracts nightingales, blood-thirsty creatures who will stop at no means to feed on the dead.

10. Yeti: Terror of the Yukon

Blood, screams, ice, yetis. In “Yeti: Terror of the Yukon,” be prepared to enter the iciness of the Yeti territory.

Halloween Horror Nights also makes sure the streets of the park are themed to the event as well. Called “scarezones,” different areas of the theme park are themed to scare people walking through them, just like the haunted houses.

The five scare zones for this year’s event are as follows: Zombieland Double Tap, Rob Zombie’s Hellbilly Deluxe, Anarch-cade, Vanity Ball, and Vikings Undead. 

(Image Credit: Universal Orlando)

There will also be two nighttime shows available inside the park. The first, Academy of Villains: Altered States, is a theatrical dance show on one of the park’s stages. The second, Halloween Marathon of Mayhem, is a new fountain-based lagoon show that will show scenes from different movies and shows at this year’s event. 

(Image Credit: Universal Orlando)

This 80’s themed year is definitely going to make for a horrifying, yet thrilling year at Halloween Horror Nights. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights 29, read about it on https://orlando.halloweenhorrornights.com/site/

Emma is a sophomore at Florida International University studying Broadcast Media. She is from Miami and loves entertainment (music, tv shows, movies) and hopes to become an entertainment reporter after college. She is also involved on campus in her Panhellenic Council organization.