absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What Exactly is Happening Between Iran and the United States?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

President Trump approved the killing of Major General Qassem Soleimani, Iran’s most prominent military leader and general of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Since this attack, Iran has retaliated. 

The Iranian military retaliated by firing missiles targeted at U.S. army bases located in Iraq. Over a dozen missiles were sent and over ten troops were killed or harmed. An Iranian military official responded to the attacks by saying that they did ‘not intend to kill’ and that instead, they intended to solely hit the U.S. militaries machinery. 

When asked about the killing of the Iranian Major General at the White House, President Trump responded by saying, “We did it because they were looking to blow up our embassy.” “We didn’t start it. They started it by killing one of our people and wounding badly other of our people,” Trump said. “So that you call retribution.” Trump was referring to the killing of a U.S. contractor in a missile strike on Dec. 27.

So what happens next? Both the U.S. and Iran have seemed to take a step back. After Iran missiles stroke the U.S. military bases, both countries suggested that they would not continue to retaliate after almost being on the verge of war. 

President Trump addressed the nation by stating that the United States was ready to ’embrace peace.’