What to do if You’re a Dog-less Dog-lover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

You know that happy feeling when you get home from a long day and your furry friend comes to greet you at the door with a big puppy smile and excitement? No, because unfortunately you don’t have one. For whatever reason you don’t have a cute dog to cheer you up when you’re down or just to run around a park with.

The need to have a cute furry friend is real, I get it. But unfortunately you don’t have the funds, time, or energy to dedicate to having a dog. Even if you don’t have a dog there are still some ways to enjoy the company of a dog without actually owning one.

Volunteer at your local shelter. Shelters are often over crowded with dogs that need love and attention, and workers can’t always be there to give them that. By volunteering, you’re not only helping yourself to loving a dog (or dogs) but helping out the shelter by giving the dogs much needed human attention and love.

Dog sit. Whenever friends or family go out of town and need someone to check up on their pupper, take the opportunity to dog sit for them. The dog most likely will miss their owner and will be extremely happy to see a familiar face ready to give him or her the love during the time their owner is away.

Sponsor a pet in need. If money is not necessarily an issue when it comes to not owning a dog you can sponsor a pet in need. You’ll be providing food, vaccines, and much more to a pet who may not have the opportunity at a good life without your donation.

Visit your local dog park. If you can’t have a dog you can always play with them at your local dog park (with their owners permission of course). You’ll still have fun even if you don’t get to take home a cute little puppy.

Not having a dog will no longer be the end of the world with these options.

A senior at Florida International University, Kaylin is currently majoring in Broadcast Journalism with a minor in Art. Aside from writing, she has a passion for pastry making, film photography, and reading. She can usually be found by the pool or beach reading a new adventure.