This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

This is for all those who love to sing, dance or both! Tony award-winning playwright Tony Kushner and Steven Spielberg are remaking the classic movie musical, West Side Story, and Cindy Tolan Casting has put out an open casting call for the roles of Tony, Maria, Anita and Bernardo.

image: source

For all the roles, they are looking for people between the ages of 15 and 25. They must be able to sing, and if they have dance experience, it is a huge plus. Tony is Caucasian, Maria and Anita are Latina and Bernardo is Latino. In order to audition, submit a photo of you and a video of you singing to westsidestorycastingsearch@gmail.com.

West Side Story first opened on Broadway in 1957, and went on to play 732 performances. The story is a modern take on the classic Romeo and Juliet story. Broadway.com explains, “West Side Story follows two gangs who battle to control their turf on New York’s Upper West Side. The situation gets complicated when one gang member falls for a rival’s sister.”

The 1961 movie adaptation of the play starred Richard Beymer as Tony and Natalie Wood as Maria. Rita Moreno and George Chakiris won Oscars for their performances as Anita and Bernardo. The movie was awarded a total of 10 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

People have already begun to dream-cast the film. FIU alumni and Miami native, Chrissie Fit, apparently has received many tweets from fans who think she would be a perfect fit.

image: source

While there is no set deadline, the sooner you turn in your auditions, the better. Good luck to all!

thumbnail: source