This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Can we talk how MONTERO blew everyone away?! Lil Nas X is here and ready to dominate the music industry. Lil Nas X dropped his debut album MONTERO, named after himself, Montero Lamar Hill, and it did not disappoint. The album has 15 songs and has major features with Jack Harlow, Doja Cat, Sir Elton John, Megan Thee Stallion and Miley Cyrus. The skip button was not an option.

Let’s talk about the beautiful album cover. It shows Lil Nas X being levitated in a beautiful paradise surrounded by water and butterflies. The album cover can provide insight on what audiences can expect from the album. The water and butterflies that surround him can be seen as symbol of change and transformation. The rainbow that circles him can be a representation of new beginnings and hope. Not to mention that the rainbow is a symbol for the LGBTQ+ community. 

All what Lil Nas X explored in this album as he’s ready to embark on a new journey while being true to himself as gay black man in the music industry, most notably the hip-hop industry. This is his rebirth. He’s finally free to be him. 

Lil Nas X welcomes fans into the story of MONTERO as he tells us the story of his past and present. The album talks about identity, love, sadness, family issues, self-doubt, the pressure of fame and hope. He gave fans a look into all of thoughts and feelings through different genres of music while captivating the viewers attention with a musical visual for each song. Lil Nas X proved to the world that he is here and he’s here to stay. 

MONTERO is only the beginning of Lil Nas X’s journey, and it can only go up from here. Trust me when I say that I can’t wait to see what he does next. 

P.S. There better be a tour on the way. I’ll give them my money now.

If you haven’t gotten the chance to listen to the album, you can listen to it on https://www.welcometomontero.com. You can also donate and support the various organizations that Lil Nas X put in his website that raises awareness on many important topics.

If you want to get a more in depth look on the process of making MONTERO, you can watch Zane Lowe’s interview with Lil Nas X.

Chelsea Alexandra Marino is a senior at Florida International University, majoring in journalism. She is also pursuing a certificate in music business. Her passions include music, soccer, video games, and Marvel movies.