This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

https://broadway.showtickets.com/waitress/

Waitress the musical, have you heard about it?

On March 24, 2018 I decided to watch the famous Waitress on Broadway in New York City. This musical had interest in me and I was finally able to see it. One of my favorite singer/ song writer was performing in the musical and is the composer and lyricist for the musical. Waitress is based on a book by Jessie Nelson and a film from 2007 with the same name.

With intense research on which musical to go watch, Waitress had caught my attention, the story behind it was very inspiring and the music is absolutely wonderful. This musical is also the first Broadway show with an all women creative team since 1984!

You might find the musical to be light and cheerful, although I won’t put any spoilers, the plot is shockingly better than expected. Without any spoilers the musical is about a young woman named Jenna who works at her local diner back home who finds out she is pregnant by her abusive husband and with the help of her friends she tries to compete for pie baking contest to find a better life for her and her unborn child. Throughout the play she expresses the love for baking and grows to understand why all of this happened to her. Most of the promotional and advertisement for the musical makes it seem very cheesy but in reality, the message this musical gives is one of the best yet.

Happiness, pursuing the wildest dreams and the magic of incredibly made pie is what it is all about in this musical!

The musical is located in a small cozy theater on Broadway, the first thing you notice when you walk into the theater is the incredible smell of warm apple pie. You feel as though you’ve been transported from a theater in New York to a small homey diner in the south. 

As we are waiting to get seated waitresses are walking around the theater selling Waitress merchandise and pies in a jar with a variety of flavors. As someone who loves musicals I thought that the presentation before the show was spot on! The musical started with their opening number “What’s inside” and immediately the audience quiet down and started to enjoy the wonderful journey Jenna the main character was going to take us.  By intermission I was emotionally invested in the musical and didn’t want it to end.

This a musical for everyone, although I wouldn’t say younger than 13 years old should go because there are a couple of “mature” scenes for the audience.

Overall, this musical deserves a 10/10 for its performance, music and production of the musical.

Waitress is coming on tour to a theater near you if you have the chance to go watch it, do so!

Journalism student with a track in Broadcast Media at The School Of Communications & Journalism at Florida International University.  Josie is an ambitious Journalist with a passion to unfold the truth and inform the audience; she loves to write about fashion, lifestyle and current events.