Vicky Cafe: FIU’s Newest Hot Spot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Photo By: Vince Rives

Move over GC, there’s a new hangout spot on campus. Since it’s grand opening, Vicky Cafe at FIU has become the place to be. From a live DJ every Tuesday night in the patio, open mic night every Thursday, and happy hour mimosas every Sunday, it is no wonder why students haven’t stopped raving. “I love it!” Said Celine Alvarez, student at FIU, “The food is delicious and affordable, and the music they play makes it such a nice and chill atmosphere.” The art on the walls, the furniture and even the music played daily gives off an unmistakeable wynwood vibe, making it the perfect place to study on a late saturday night when all your friends are at Wood Tavern. Vicky Cafe at FIU also keeps it local by offering a large variery of locally brewed beers and craft wines, as well as coffee from local shop, Panther Coffee. David Pina, the managing partner at Vicky Cafe shared his thoughts on a few questions we’ve all been asking. 

1. What made you open Vicky Cafe at FIU?

“FIU was interested in bringing a local brand to campus, and between being long time fans of the university and having alumni among our ranks we couldn’t say no!”

Photo By: Vince Rives

2. What plans do you have for Vicky Cafe at FIU?

“To think about the long term plan we need to think about how we started here. This was originally going to be a Vicky bakery not a Vicky café. But when we saw the location we were inspired to push it further.

We added healthier items to the menu because we thought the demographics demanded it. We added Panther Coffee to the menu because if FIU is going to take a chance on a local brand we should also pay forward. Plus, its really good coffee!

By the time we got around to adding local craft beer and wine we realized we had something new in our hands.

Every decision we made after that from “what do the students want”, “What do the people want”, designing the store, picking the furniture, setting the hours of operation all of those were questions that we had to answer with what do the people want. We wanna keep going with whatever the people tell us they want- we added almond milk because people asked for it. We started open mic night because people asked for it- so were willing to change our plans as the people demand it. I would love to make Vicky a place for students to hang out as late as they want. So if we stay busy from 9:00pm-10:00pm, for example well start stay open to 11:00pm. Right now we close at 7:00PM on Saturdays, but I’m guessing there are plenty of students on campus that want to hang out on a Saturday that don’t want to take an Über to Wynwood or have a designated driver when they go to the beach. So I realize I talk a lot but, basically; whatever you want.”

Photo By: Vince Rives 

3. How long have you been in the bakery business?

“Our group opened a bakery in Miramar early last year. This is our second bakery and the first Vicky café. We’re planning on opening a few more location in the next few years.”

4. What is your favorite thing to have at the Cafe?

“Beer!”

Photo By: Vince Rives 

5. What advice would you give to students wanting to get into the hospitality/ food business?

“Work harder than anybody ask you to!”

6. What events do you have planned for the Cafe?

“Well, I already mention an open mic night every Thursday that the radio stations students coordinated. People have been really receptive to that. A few of our employees preformed last time (and I gave them free beer). Beyond that, I used to live in New York so a big thing for us was Trivia Tuesday. We might try setting that up! We’ve also been having a DJ once a week so well see if that works out too. We’ll have Karaoke night, video game night, and whatever people want. I’m trying to keep my ears open and see what makes the most sense.”

Photo By: Vince Rives 

Contributors: Carlos Fernandez, Vince Rives, Valentina Lara

2017 FIU Her Campus president