USNC for United Nations Women at FIU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945, and its aim is to take action against issues confronting humanity in the 21st century. Many people are familiar with the United Nations, but not so many are familiar with UN Women.

UN Women is the United Nations entity responsible for promoting women empowerment and gender equality, and you will be pleased to know we have our very own UN Women Chapter here at FIU!

The U.S National Committee for UN Women at Florida International University had their pilot year in 2014 and this year they are more active than ever!

Their priorities include: 

• Expanding women’s leadership and political participation

• Enhancing women’s economic empowerment

• Ending violence against women

• Fostering peace and security

• Incorporating gender equality into governance and national planning

• Informing the post-2015 development goals

• Bringing a gender equality lens to programs that address HIV and AIDS

There is a quote that says, “Behind every successful woman, is a tribe of other successful women who have her back.” When strong women join forces to advocate and make change, supporting each other, things happen and change is inevitable! It is a known fact that empowering women fuels thriving economies, spurring productivity and growth.

UN Women FIU is always looking for new members to join their Chapter. If you are passionate about women empowerment and gender equality then UN Women is for you! Open to both men and women. 

You can connect with them on Facebook – U.S. National Committee for UN Women at Florida International University

Twitter, Instagram & Snapchat: @unwomenfiu

Email: unwomen@fiu.edu

South African model, dancer, personal trainer and blogger. Lover of God & Life