Twitter’s New Harassment Rules!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

After facing criticism, Twitter has decided to create new rules regarding harassment and bullying. The critique on Twitter began years ago after users claimed that Twitter had become a safe haven for online provocation.

The founder and CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted out that new policies regarding “unwanted sexual advances, non-consensual nudity, hate symbols, violent groups, and tweets that glorifies violence ” would be implemented, although not giving a specific timeline for when the rules would be implemented. The CEO then tweeted the following: “We decided to take a more aggressive stance in our rules and how we enforce them.”

Photo Source: money.cnn.com

Although some are pleased with Twitter’s newest claims, some are upset at the timing and claim the new, promised rules are long over due. It all started when actress, Rose McGowan’s account was suspended for supposedly tweeting out a phone number when coincidentally she had tweeted, accusing Harvey Weinstein of raping her. McGowan is one of many women claiming Weinstein sexually assaulted her. Many feel that Twitter suspending the actress’ account is a way of silencing her pain. Out of anger and frustration, female users began the hashtag, #WomenBoycottTwitter. As a result, women from all over have come together to boycott what they believe an unsafe platform. 

Cover Photo Source: http://cdn.kevinmd.com