Traveling on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As college students we all know that “on a budget” is just a way of life. But when we think of travel, “on a budget,” isn’t exactly the phrase that comes to mind. Most of the time, the thoughts that comes along with travel is “unaffordable” and “how am I going to afford this?” How is it that college students travel when there are so many other expenses to think about, and so little cash to do it with? Here are just a few tips on making travel less mind boggling to you and your wallet.

Space Out Big Purchases. The scariest part of travel is the big purchases: the plane ticket and the hotel. When it comes to these purchases the biggest advice that can be shared is to buy these two in advance. With time a lot can be done for a lot less. Hotels put up specials for people who book in advance as well as discounts if you pay for all the nights up front, like buying in bulk. As soon as you start thinking of taking a trip, look into your hotel and plan how you’re going to save, split and pay for it. As for plane tickets, the earlier you think of booking, the lower the flight fares are. The closer you get to departure date, the higher the expense goes. With time you can shop around and find the price and time that works for you. 

Photo source

Plan your Itinerary. Anywhere you go, there are things you want to do. Plan these in advance and use apps like groupon to see if any of the attractions are on special. Museums put tickets on groupon as well as tours, excursions like kayaking, paddle boarding and more. Another perk of buying your adventures in advance is you have all your tickets ready when you arrive. The money you do take with you is certain to be used for souvenirs and food, everything else you already have covered and that’s a big stress reducer.

Photo source 

Don’t Be Afraid of Public Transportation. Miami does not have the best public transportation, but that is not the norm. While Uber is very useful, put it away for a second and discover trains, subways and buses. They can be the most effective and cheapest way to get around in a new place. As an example, the average Uber ride costs $13.36 as reported by Uber drivers across the US. A 7-day Pass, CharlieCard or CharlieTicket for transportation in Massachusetts using both trains and buses all day is $21.25. That is a massive saving.   

Photo source

Take Your Student ID EVERYWHERE. There are so many places that give student discounts that taking your ID is just necessary. If you buy museum tickets beforehand, make sure you have it for proof when you pick up your tickets. While you may think a few dollars off is not a big deal, it adds up. Don’t underestimate the power of the college ID.

Tools for Travel Planning. In this digital age there is truly an app for everything. Apps like Hopper, KAYAK, Uber and Expedia, not to mention your GPS, are all great tools for getting there quick, fast, and on a budget! 

Cover Photo

Lillie is an English and Literature Student with a track in Creative Writing as well as experience in Public Relations and Law at Florida International University. She has a love for the arts, writing, creativity and adventure and focuses on sharing her experiences as well as informing her audience on current events in her writing.