This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The following ten songs played (literally over and over again) a major role in supporting the person I have grown up to be today. For reasons I will explain throughout this article, I plan to “jam out” to these songs with my future kids. They made up the soundtrack of my childhood and gave me the strength, wisdom, and happiness I still have and am constantly growing.

1. What Dreams Are Made of (The Lizzie McGuire Movie) by Hilary Duff

This song not only contributed to the dreamer I have always been, but is also the reason I was so excited that the first country I traveled in Europe was Italy. That’s because this song taught me more than just to dream. This song taught me to enjoy the moment and to live in the now. It taught me to focus on loving people who brought true happiness in my life, and brought me a smile when they smiled. This song even talks about purpose when it states, “Have you ever wondered what life is about? You could search the world and never figure it out. You don’t have to sail the oceans. No, no, no, happiness is no mystery, it’s here and now, it’s you and me.” This song, in the simplest way, explained to me that life is about enjoying the moments you have, for what they are, and making the best out of them. If you learn to be happy with what you have, you will always be happy. This song may have also given me the confidence I have had a few times to get up on stage and sing other songs I grew up passionately jamming out to.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uen-A9Yw67Y

2. That Girl (Drama Queen) by Lindsay Lohan

So this song inspired the theme of my ninth birthday party (as you can see in the picture below). I even sang it at one point and still remember everyone watching me. I had a blast, not caring about how weird it may be to act like a superstar, because honestly, I still try to believe I am one in my own life. This song brought out the bold character in me. It made me want to surprise people by showing them how I would achieve success in my own way. Even since I was a little girl, I’ve always had big dreams. Therefore, I’ve tried avoiding the “doubters, and unbelievers,” aka anyone who didn’t support me. Instead, I’ve surrounded myself with several real friends throughout the years, and know it’s because of the support they gave me that I have been able to believe in myself to get to wherever I end up.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCdnm0mRhTY

Picture of me trying to dress like Eliza from the movie, “Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen.”

3. That’s Just the Way We Roll by the Jonas Brothers

This song taught me to embrace that all families are different, and weird in their own ways. It also encouraged me to be imaginative, real, and have fun no matter what is was that I was doing. It helped me to own the “weird” person I am, my family is, and all my friends are. It also taught me to never let these real people go. At the end of the day, everyone is a “little crazy,” and if someone feels they can’t be, be the friend they need to remind them they can. You never know why some people feel they have to hide their real, “freak.” By loving each other for who we truly are, the world would be a better place and everyone would end up where he or she is meant to.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmTyWBLCge8

4. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

I sang this song in my 4th Grade Talent Show because, I think more than a few of us can agree, it taught many valuable life lessons. This song still helps me to get through times I feel stuck in what the right thing to do next is. It reminds me of all the opportunities I have to do whatever I want, and that it’s okay to make mistakes along the way. It may not be a clear rode to get there, but I’m still in charge of deciding how I will drive myself there. It’s always better to say how you feel, and be your honest self, than fall into the trap of going through roads that don’t feel right to you.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7k0a5hYnSI

5. Potential Breakup Song by Aly and AJ

This song taught me the standards to have in not only romantic relationships, but also in my friendships. You bet that if someone ever forgot my birthday, I would take notice. I have always been big on birthdays, and making my friends feel important and valued by always being there for them in not only good moments, but also the bad ones. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s all because of this song that I feel so strongly about being a good friend. Value those that value you, it’s that simple people. Real friends are hard to come by, and this song helped me to see some of the signs leading up to when it was time to let some fake ones go.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqpA5Acc8-c

6. Wake Up by Hillary Duff

This song is still my favorite Hilary Duff Song. If you listen to every word, I believe it’s so relevant to the time we’re living in. Every day you have to “Wake Up” and do you. Stop worrying about what other’s may think. If you can look in the mirror, proud of who you are, then you’re living your life the right way, no matter where in the world you are.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OguSuFENucg

7. This is My Time (Princess Diaries 2) by Raven Symone

I chose this song to make an entrance into my Quincenera (aka “Sweet” Fifteen’s). I had the “Princess Diaries 2” CD Album as a kid and this one song always stuck out to me. I knew at an early age, if I didn’t want to lose the person I have always stood for, I would have to be confident in who she is. I would also have to be confident in what I believed in, so no one could change me. Until this day, I can honestly say I’ve never changed my heart and soul. I have done everything I have said I would because I put my heart and soul into accomplishing it. I still listen to this song in reminding myself that the only way to shine, is by realizing the time is now to do what you want to do, and there is no one better than you to do it. It also taught me to never be scared of what other’s may think while doing whatever it is I ended up doing. Fear is the only real thing stopping you from doing what you were born to do.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnNt7T7DlL8

8. La La Land by Demi Lovato

This song honestly still explains who I am which is a little scary. Many people have told me that I come off as a really confident person, but it’s funny because I don’t always feel like I’m all that confident. Sometimes I feel like I’m still winging it, but I do know that a certain level of confidence in who I am has gotten me to where I am today. Nevertheless, this song taught me to not be scared of losing anything when going after my dreams. It also helped me to be confident in doing whatever it is that makes me, me in the present moment- if that meant eating McDonald’s (like I still do) or wearing converse in a dress (like I did for my Quince’s Photoshoot pictured below) I will do it. If you’re doing what you love, you’ll never lose you, and that’s the only thing you should ever be really scared of losing in the “La La Land Machine” that Life can be if you let it change you.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmjO1p9Oxrk

Me wearing converse with my dress for my “Quince’s” (“Sweet” Fifteen’s) Photoshoot

9. Crowning Glory by Julie Andrews and Raven Symone

This song taught me not only the importance of self-worth and having standards, but also made me realize I want to be a role model that spreads wisdom to others one day, just like Julie Andrews always did so elegantly. Through this song, I learned that my heart is the one thing that will never change. This is the part of me I have always wanted others to fall in love with most. My truest friends are those that are friends with me because they love my heart. It’s what I believe to be my “Crowning Glory,” which is ironic since my name “Estefania,” means “crowned.” I hope that my heart is the legacy I leave for anyone who ever knew me to be inspired by.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqE6xIjPB8

10. Fly by Hilary Duff

This song taught me that because life can change, I’d have to trust myself throughout it to get to where I wanted to get. If you let it, life can beat you. That’s why you have to learn to take a second and see all the positive reasons why you should keep going. To regain the strength that will allow you to keep moving forward, you must put your worries to the side and listen to the gut feeling coming from your heart to chase after what feels right.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQMVTTW1Sk

Hi, I’m Steff, and I believe “Style is not changing to fit the fashion but rather changing the fashion to fit you.” What I have found to be true is that the fashion in which one sees opportunities and chooses how they will pursue them to form the lifestyle they live, determines how much happiness their life will bring. Currently, I’m an Honors College student at Florida International University with a double major in International Business and Marketing. Because I have over five years of work experience in retail, I decided to get a Retail Marketing and Management Certificate and am very interested in the business side of the fashion industry. I’m also attaining a Global Media Communications Certificate which makes me qualified for positions in Public Relations, Advertising and even Journalism. Since I’ve grown up in Miami, Florida my whole life, I decided to study abroad. I went to Italy with the FIU Honors program, Switzerland, Austria, and Germany with the FIU Marketing program, and Dubai and India with the FIU Management Program. Therefore, I decided to also get a Certificate in European and Eurasian Studies. Furthermore, due to my work experience in representing several brands and companies, I realized the importance of understanding one's target market, their selling behavior, and staying up-to-date in current trend analysis, so I also decided to get a fourth Certificate in Marketing Research and Analysis and a fifth in Social Media and E-Marketing Analytics. I believe my academic and professional backgrounds have helped me to become an open-minded person who can remain flexible when faced with any kind of adversity and always stay curious. Now I'm writing for Her Campus in hopes to inspire and give back to all my other college girl bosses out there, who I already know are killing it this semester. Best wishes always, Estefania Lastre P.S. it's Steff