This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

While we stray further away from the patriarchy and misogyny that this country was built on, women still face criticism today. It’s easier to avoid when you’re walking the streets or at work. What happens when you’re own father has control over your body? 

Last week, the internet learned that rapper T.I. makes yearly visits to the gynecologist with his daughter. Upon first glance, it could be taken as a genuine concern for his daughters health. The visits he takes with his daughter, though, are to verify that her hymen is still intact. Translation: is she still a virgin?

His daughter, who is 18 years of age, confidentiality papers at the doctor allowing her information to be shared with her father as he sat right next to her. The doctor informed T.I. (as he was probably questioning why this man was so concerned with his adult daughters hymen) that there are other ways in which the hymen can break. These include riding bikes, horses, etc. T.I. countered that and said his daughter does none of the following. On the podcast he was sharing with, he finished with, “As of her 18th birthday, she’s still a virgin.”. 

Netizens took to Twitter and Instagram with their thoughts on T.I.’s parenting. The main issue at hand is that it’s almost… obsessive? Especially after her 18th birthday, these trips to the Gyno shouldn’t continue. With that being said, it’s not a surprise. Fathers have this image of their daughters: “Daddy’s little princess”. No parent wants their child to grow up but it’s inescapable. The stigma around daughters maturing and sons maturing are completely different and demeaning. The boys are encouraged to lose their virginity; they become men when they do.

When girls reach this part of adulthood, they’re suddenly impure. Why is that?

While the way T.I. chooses to parent and put it on blast for the world to hear, it brings a gender issue to light. It should go without saying, but you can love and protect your children without being possessive. Instead of checking them for their “purity”, teach them how to be safe and make the right choices when it comes to sex. 

Hey y’all! My name is Avery Coffey and before you ask, I love coffee. I reside in Florida, but Kentucky is where my heart is. Coffee is one of my few addictions. I love creating and painting; there’s no other feeling than accomplishing a vision of your own. I’m studying Creative Writing at FIU and hope to get a certificate in Film Studies so I’ll have a purpose to analyze movies! I hope you’re able to find some guidance and helpful tips through my writing!