Three Ways To Better Your Mind When You Wake Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

I know some mornings when I wake up my mind is full of an ongoing to-do list or just full of left over terms from my class studying the night before. This can cause us to wake up with a bogged down mind instead of an open, clear and excited one. Here’s a few ways to keep your mind fresh in the morning: 

1. Detox Your Brain The Night Before

Make sure before you set your alarm and place your head on that pillow, you cleanse your thoughts. You can start by preaching to yourself, even if it means repeating a positive phrase to yourself and sounding a little crazy- do it! Maybe for you it’s praying, meditating, or just releasing stress by writing down new exciting goals you have for yourself in this upcoming month. Make sure your mind is completely clear before you close your eyes to sleep. You’ll wake up the same way and feel GREAT! 

2. Don’t Wake Up And Stay Stagnant

Often times when we stay in bed, we tend to overthink or grow lazy because we’re going through all the tasks we have to do for the day. This can cause our mind to wander and eventually not want to begin. DON’T let yourself do this! Immediately wake up, wash your face with warm water and get dressed for the day! This will in a sense get your system going both physically and mentally, as well as prevent you from being stagnant with your thoughts.

3.  Wake Up Inspired

Whether this means having an uplifting quote as the wallpaper on your phone, or an upbeat song as your alarm when you wake up- do it! Some people even use post-it notes and place them on their dresser or mirror with positive sayings or quotes to see in the morning. Just surround yourself with inspiration so you stay motivated and don’t lose sight of the best day you’re going to have ahead! 

I hope this helps you wake up happier and all around better! 

Xoxo, 

Bri 

Cover Photo Credit: Shutterstock