Think Pink: Breast Cancer Prevention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

October is time in for pumpkin spice lattes and praying for the temperature in Florida to drop below 80 degrees so you can finally break out the fall wardrobe. However, amidst the distinctive autumn color palette, you may see the occasional pop of pink. It’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and although this disease can affect anyone, women (some more than others) are at a much higher risk than men.

Many people feel uncomfortable learning about debilitating illnesses. Maybe it has affected someone they love (approximately 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime), or maybe they think, “It could never happen to me.” The fact is, it can. But the real question is: what can we do about it?

There are several ways that women can reduce their personal risk of breast cancer. The conversation during Breast Cancer Awareness Month so often revolves around “finding a cure,” but what about prevention?

Here are a few simple ways to prevent breast cancer from affecting your life:

• Checking your family history. If anyone in your family has been diagnosed with breast cancer, it’s best to go to the doctor and see if you may carry the gene which predisposes you to the disease. If you do have it, medical attention can be received early on.

• Eating certain foods. Foods rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin D and Vitamin E can all actively help your body defend itself against cancer. Some examples are sweet potatoes, wheat, tropical fruits and leafy greens. Low-fat foods as well as foods rich in fiber are also effective.

• Cut back on the alcohol. Everything in moderation, here’s one more reason why– even as little as one standard drink per day has been linked to an increased likelihood of breast cancer.

• Taking birth control pills. Oral contraceptives have been rumored to be linked to increased breast cancer risk, but that myth has been debunked. In fact, any associated risk is extremely minimal, temporary and does not apply to the low-dose estrogen pills that are most common. In fact, it has been proven that taking birth control pills for five years can actually cut your risk of ovarian cancer in half.

• Exercising regularly. Aside from the other numerous health benefits associated with getting your heart pumping, as little as 30 minutes of exercise on most days can drastically decrease your personal risk. By reducing excess fatty tissue, the excess estrogen it produces will also subside, therefore lowering the odds of developing breast cancer.

It’s on us to be proactive about our health, and that includes managing our personal risk of breast cancer. By creating healthy habits and promoting that lifestyle, we are not only helping ourselves, but also honoring all those who have ever fought against breast cancer.

For more information, visit www.breastcancer.org and www.brightpink.org.