This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We live in a time where the risk of climate change is more prevalent than ever. Between Manatees being found dead at a massive scale all over Florida and dead fish being found in Byscaine, we are truly seeing the effects of what can only be described as carelessness towards the environment

Still, it needs to be reminded that it’s not too late to do something about it. While it can seem daunting individuals like we can’t do anything about the looming problem, especially with the people currently in charge of our state. It’s important to know that people are trying to do better things for us on the bigger scale. It’s also important to know that we can do small things to help as well.

Pick up animal waste

I can’t tell you how many times as I’ve walked my dog I’ve seen people not pick up after theirs. Animal waste winds up in our water via runoff and is a big contributor to algae blooms which are directly correlated to fish death in bodies of water in Florida. By picking up after you’re helping minimize water pollution and decreasing wild life. 

Recycle

It may seem like it doesn’t do much but recycling really does make a difference. It doesn’t take much, just an extra trash bag or a extra trip to the recycling bin. It’s not just about throwing away cans and plastics in a different bin. However, remember that the mantra is reuse reduce recycle. Try to purchase plastic items made of already recycled materials and repurpose items whenever you can. 

Participate in Clean Ups

Beach clean ups are a great way to feel like you’ve done something-something tangible that can help you feel like you’re not helpless because you can look at it and see the results. They help cut down on how much trash can wind up in the waters which helps reduce pollution. They’re also a great excuse to go to the beach!

Be Responsible With Your Waste

There have been multiple articles about the state of the beach or other areas after events like Spring Break or holidays. People leave plastic cups and beer bottles and trash all over the place and we’re the ones to pay. There’s nothing wrong with partying and having fun, but remember someone has to clean up after you if you leave it a mess. Bring trash bags, don’t litter and remember whatever you leave strewn about could wind up in our water sources. 

Volunteer with or Donate to organizations

There are multiple organizations out there that want to tackle climate change and pollution and more to the point, know the steps needed to do so. A big reason why people may feel like all is lost is that they don’t really know where they can start. Look for organizations near you from conservation to other environmental causes, they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

Vote

At the end of the day, the changes that we need to make are at the policy level. Voting is just one thing, but it’s the most important thing we can do. We need to vote in people who will keep up laws that tackle the problems on a wider level. It is the single most important thing we can do.

Ana Cedeno is a student at Florida International University, where they are pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in English and minoring in Social Media Marketing. They are also in the Pride Student Union and are the social media manager of FIU's Pride Honors College. In the past, they pursued an Associate's Degree in Journalism at Broward College, and have been published by The Observer, HerCampusBC (Broward College) where they were editors and even grassroots publications such as Rise Miami News where they were contributing writers. Currently they are trying to build their writing portfolio and make it through these new times as a college student while consuming way too much cafe bustelo. They have an interest in sustainability and zoology and a penchant for focusing on them but are a jack of all trades when it comes to what they write about.