thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness

Things to do While in Social-Isolation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you’re reading this, odds are you are in quarantine or undergoing social isolation. In a matter of weeks, maybe even days, your life has changed to being nearly entirely from home. For introverts, this might be a breeze. But it’s safe to say it is at the very least a change for everyone. If you’re struggling to find things to do to keep your mind occupied or take up your time, here are some suggestions. 

1.    Exercise.  With many fitness gurus and apps offering free at-home workouts this month, getting a workout in without having to leave your house has never been easier.  Whether it’s for a few minutes or an hour, it’ll help you release endorphins, reduce stress, and combat the effects of eating all your snacks in one day. You can either stay inside or go to a safe greenspace like your backyard or a nearby park, away from others. Make sure to sanitize any equipment you take with you. Something as small as taking a walk around your neighborhood might help if you’re feeling boxed in. 

2.    Make a show/movie watch-list.  Odds are you have quite a bit of free time for the next several weeks. Social gatherings might be canceled but the internet and cable are not. Comcast and other companies are waiving charges for this month so you can distract your mind without worrying about the costs. If you’ve been wanting to binge a certain film or show category, now is the time. A good way to get excited is to make a list of all the shows and movies you want to watch. That way you have at least one thing to look forward to each day for the upcoming weeks. Spacing it all out instead of binging all at once might be smart if you’re easily overwhelmed. 

3.    Watch concerts of your favorite artists, whether on DVD or YouTube. Yes, music festivals are postponed. Luckily, we have the great YouTube concert archives available to us. Listening to music is a great mood-lifter. Watching the performances can be fun even if you’re watching it from your living room. Turn down the lights and turn up the volume. 

4.    Have FaceTime dates with your friends/family. Self-quarantining/social-isolating can be especially tough if you’re used to being with your loved ones often. Unfortunately, during these times even a hug puts us at risk and it is important to take all the safety measures possible to protect ourselves, those we love, and society as a whole. Setting up video chat dates can help. Suggestions: have virtual wine nights, make group Tik Toks. 

5.    Journal. Journaling takes up a small portion of your day but can have a big impact on your attitude towards it and your mood throughout. Through journaling, you can release your frustrations and fears. You can also choose to focus on the positives when you journal, magnifying a sense of gratitude and joy. Potential positives to focus on: nice weather, having food in the fridge, the whole semester not being a loss thanks to virtual lectures, hope for the future. 

6.    Re-organize/re-decorate.  If you’re back home or at your place, it might be a great time to finally clean out your closet, organize your cabinets, or redecorate altogether. Tidying up can be therapeutic for some. At the very least, it’s likely to take up a few hours of your day, keeping you busy instead of staring at the ceiling. Suggestions: a fresh coat of paint, some new frames, or some small DIY projects. 

7.    Stock up on new books through Amazon.  Although shipping might be delayed, a large part of Amazon is still functioning! You can take advantage of Prime’s deal for students and order a few books- i.e. poetry, fiction, philosophy- to have stocked up for the next month. Tip: reading before bed can help you get a better night’s sleep.

8.    Laugh.  Yes, these are worrisome times. But there is only so much we can do and only so much stress our bodies and immune systems can take. Don’t feel bad for laughing or feeling somewhat good. The world needs positive vibes right now. You need positive vibes right now (while staying safe and being responsible, of course). Suggestions: watch your favorite sitcom, take a look at Italy’s balcony performances, or watch cute puppy videos.

9.    Play board games/videogames.  If you’re quarantining with a small group, board games are a great way to pass time. If you’re isolated from everyone, virtual matches are still possible! Whether it’s a quick game of Connect 4 or a never-ending game of Monopoly, it’s a fun way to bond and decompress. 

10.    Create.  If you’re creative, this might just be one of the best times for you to create. After all, Shakespeare did write King Lear while quarantined during the plague. Write that poetry collection, make those Youtube videos, knit that sweater, DIY those jeans, record those songs! 

11.    Get some sunshine.  Whether it’s stepping outside or sitting by a window, getting some sunshine can boost your mood. Suggestions: have a picnic in your backyard, tan, open up the blinds in your home. 

12.    Order local.  While many businesses are closing, some do remain open- including some local ones. While big businesses might be able to recover relatively easily, local companies are more likely to take a hit. An easy way to support is to order food through UberEats, which is now offering free delivery if you order from a local restaurant. 

13.    Throw on a cute outfit.  Yes. It. Works. It’s easy to fall quickly into lounge mode while stuck at home but that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with it. Throw on your cutest joggers, sweaters, scrunchies, or even do your hair and makeup. Instant mood-boost. 

Above all, remember to stay safe and try to remain calm, taking the necessary precautions advised by the CDC.   

Daniela is a senior majoring in English Literature and Criminal Justice at Florida International University.