This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Robyn Rihanna Fenty. Does she really need any introduction? Singer. Actress. Business owner. Billionaire. Mommy. She was discovered by Jay-Z and signed to Roc Nation and never let her foot off the gas pedal. In this article, we’ll dive into Rihanna’s makeup brand, Fenty Beauty. Many celebrities have cosmetic companies, including Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, and Lady Gaga, so what makes Fenty Beauty that girl in the beauty industry?

Fenty Beauty launched on September 8th, 2017, and what a launch it was. It started with 40 (truly) inclusive foundation shades, opening online and in stores in 17 countries. From the first day, Rihanna established her brand as gender and race/ethnicity inclusive; its mission and vision is “Beauty for All,” and it has lived up to this name. Fenty Beauty has been huge in helping black and brown people have the experience of finding that perfect shade, which isn’t possible with a lot of other major brands. 

Fenty’s marketing is extraordinary. Rihanna utilizes her fame to gather people of diverse backgrounds to participate in marketing campaigns to show off the brand’s range. Her authenticity when it comes to social issues and her personal involvement with the brand’s PR- such as her GRWM videos with Fenty’s products– is key. By allowing herself to be shown in a different light from her music and being open about what is going on in the world, she tells her audience, ‘I really am for what I say I’m for.’ Fenty continues to acquire diverse brand ambassadors and showcase different types of beauty, and that is really the key to its success, on top of its inclusive products.

With the first launch, other companies were given a blueprint of what inclusivity really is and how to create quality, genuine marketing campaigns. Fenty has accrued awards like being named one of TIME’s “Best Inventions of the 2017” and WWD Beauty Inc.’s “Launch of the Year,” as well as having the stamp of approval from many celebrities; Fenty Beauty is Jeffree Star approved (iykyk). 

However you feel about Ms. Fenty, you cannot deny her amazing business model and the achievements her brand deserves. She is the reason other cosmetic companies have stepped up their game when it comes to foundation and concealer range. I don’t think any other brand will be able to do what she did for that first launch. If you haven’t already, I recommend trying out her products and seeing what the hype is about; I personally love her lip gloss, tinted moisturizer, and blush!

Aaliyah (Leah) Walker is a first-year writer at Her Campus at the FIU chapter. She writes articles pertaining to mental health, entertainment, and advocacy for people of color. Besides being a writer at Her Campus, Leah is a junior attending FIU, majoring in psychology and organizational communications. She is an equipment manager for the FIU football team as well as a learning assistant for the psychology department. As if that is not enough, she is also a mentor to twenty first-semester freshmen. When she has time to herself, Leah is a first time dog mommy to her puppy Zion. They love going to the dog park as well as attending agility classes. Leah also loves to read science-fiction books as well as taking long walks around campus. She loves true crime Youtube and Tiktok videos.