Met Gala Gown
Met Gala Gown
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

The Met Gala: A Golden Ticket Into The Fashion World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The Met Gala, a fundraising event that meets high fashion alongside the most prestigious guests is the most anticipated event in May. Designers make their debuts with their unique designs to enhance the essence of the event. Over the years, The Met Gala has had a variety of themes that have made a big impact on all the A-listers since it is not only expected by them and their luxury designers but by the public behind the cameras.
It all goes back to 1948 when New York fashion publicist Eleanor Lambert established the gala as a way to raise funds for the Costume Institute which consisted of a collection of costumes that was created for theater designers to get inspiration from. After that, former editor-in-chief of Vogue, Diana Vreeland joined the Costume Institute, and starting there, the event began to shape itself into what we know today, along with the vision of current Vogue’s editor-in-chief Anna Wintour.

In the present, themes are always carefully chosen by Andrew Bolton, head curator of The Met, and his team, along with Wintour. They do not only define the way the guests will have to be dressed but the decorations for the whole event to create harmony within everything. The first themes for the Gala were “The World of Balenciaga” in 1973, “Romantic Glamorous Hollywood Design” in 1974, and “Vanity Fair” in 1977.

Many socialites renown around the world like Andy Warhol, Cher, and Jaqueline Kennedy started attending the gala which turned it into a cultural phenomenon that made the fundraiser break a record each year.
In this year’s Met we saw on social media that celebrities shared their time at the gala with athletes, politicians, and now influencers and YouTubers like Emma Chamberlain, that have made an impact on today’s audience. Even though what goes inside The Met is somewhat a mystery there is a reason why A-listers have this day set up on their calendars for months.

There are a variety of pieces that make a statement on the ball’s red carpet. Between the guest and the designer, there is always space for everyone to judge someone’s outfit of choice, and each year there is something new; they never disappoint. Social media has taken advantage of this, making it the moment everyone should be waiting for, even if you are watching the red carpet in your favorite pj’s the list of best and worst dressed never fails to appear on everyone’s Instagram stories minutes after it has began. The Met Gala has given us an insight into its A- list world by becoming the most exclusive event that we all, in someway, feel a part of.

The Met Gala has turned into a rival event for the Oscars; it has become so important that guests do not only want to walk the red carpet but they want to put on a show. Anna Wintour’s brilliant creative ideas have created something that will transcend generations and be forever remembered in history.

I am an international FIU student from Ecuador majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications. I have always been very creative and I love everything related to art, that's why writing is not only a passion for me but something that is part of who I am. Moving to New York City after graduation is my ultimate goal. One thing that keeps me motivated through it all is knowing that what I do now serves for my growth and the realization of my goals in the future.