The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

the market

In 2024, millions of products will be marketed toward young women searching for fuller, longer eyelashes. Whether it be mascara, extensions, falsies, or medical-grade serum, the ads that promise a new and improved set of lashes are hard to ignore. Long eyelashes have been a part of the beauty standard for millennia, but why? According to The University of British Colombia, it can be a sign of “good health and a means of protection,” but also boost the perceived attractiveness of an individual. Lash clusters and mascara can even add to the appearance of a darker limbal ring (AKA your tight line!).

Latisse

LATISSE Lash Serum boasts a visible difference in the appearance of your lashes, claiming that they can become “106% fuller…25% longer” and “18% darker”. This serum has been hailed as a miracle solution to short or sparse lashes, yet there have been concerns about the safety of this product. The lash product is only available for purchase via a doctoral prescription, meaning you can’t just get your hands on it at your local Ulta like most products of this nature. The product instructs its users to apply daily for the best possible results, which, according to Innerbody Research, is 3mL a month, costing $110! (That’s almost $37 per mL, BTW!).

The brand openly states on its website that commonly reported symptoms include:

• Eye pruritus (itchy eyes)
  • Conjunctival hyperemia (eye redness)
  • Skin hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin)
  • Occular irritation (irritation of the eye itself)
  • Dry eye(s)
  • Eyelid redness

These symptoms were only reported in a small number of the participants in their study, and some were even reported in the placebo group.

Users with light eyes should beware as there is a small chance the lash serum could permanently darken the coloration of the user’s iris. LATISSE states that the product “may cause increased brown eye coloring (hyperpigmentation). This is rare but is likely permanent if it occurs.”

The main active ingredient in the product is called bimatoprost, a medication originally used to treat patients suffering from glaucoma or ocular hypertension. This ingredient has been reported to “lower… the orbital fat volume and reduced the enophthalmos value,” basically stating it can reduce the fat around one’s eye and create a sunken appearance.

Grande-Lash MD

Grande-Lash MD is available at many beauty supply stores; it retails for $68 for the regular size and boasts itself as the “#1 Lash & Brow Serum Brand in the US”. It requires a daily application and promises “longer+thicker looking lashes in 4-6 weeks.”

Earlier this month, the company settled a class action lawsuit that alleged that “serums sold by Grande Cosmetics contain an ingredient that can cause potentially serious side effects such as iris discoloration.” The lawsuit claimed that the company did not mention the side effects that the product could cause, not just in their lash serums but also in serums designed for hair and eyebrow restoration. The ingredients list typical ingredients like water and glycerin, but it also contains Isopropyl Cloprostenate (a synthetic prostaglandin analog), a less intense version of bimatoprost, which allegedly caused similar effects in LATISSE.

The main concern was not that the product shouldn’t exist on the market at all but that it should, like LATISSE, be protected by being prescription only. They argue that the product was irresponsibly sold to anyone with the funds to buy it rather than taking necessary safety precautions. This ended in a $6.25 million settlement from Grande Cosmetics.

the ordinary peptide lash serum

The Ordinary has been taking the internet by storm with its line of skin care products going viral throughout the last couple of years. The serum sells for $14.90, which is cheaper compared to some of the other lash serums online. The product claims to help the user grow “thicker, healthier, and fuller-looking lashes and brows… in as little as four weeks.”

Unlike LATISSE and Grande-Lash MD, this serum does not contain the active ingredient Isopropyl Cloprostenate or bimatoprost! This product relies on “11 active ingredients, including four peptide complexes and a series of natural extracts” and is not abrasive so that it can be used twice a day. It’s a water-based formula that stimulates keratin and collagen production, lengthening the lashes! It is also free of parabens and sulfates.

Olaplex lashbond building serum

Olaplex, known for its blonde-enhancing hair product line, now has a product for your lashes! The serum is listed for $68 on the official website and claims it will “support and sustain the natural growth cycle and lash retention.”

This product does not use the active ingredient Isopropyl Cloprostenate or bimatoprost! Just use twice daily, and via the “Bond Building Technology™, hydrating Hyaluronic Acid and Biotin,” users should see a difference in their lashes.

Tiffany Libby, MD, a board-certified dermatologist, says the serum “safely targets…lash length, volume and density, loss and shedding, dry and brittle lashes, and lack of natural lift and curl.” The product boasts its exclusive formula using Olaplex bonding technology, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. 

Terez and Honor Eyelash enhancer

This dual-purpose product claims it can be used for both brows and lashes! It has been making its rounds on social media, especially on TikTok. It is listed on the official website for $29.99 for 3mL (but is currently on sale for 24.99!). It can be applied 1-2 times daily on clean skin, and results should be seen in 60 days.

It uses vitamins to stimulate and nourish the lash and brow growth naturally, without Isopropyl Cloprostenate or bimatoprost! The website does caution, though, that “in rare cases, this may result in mild itching during use.”

Overall, the formula is water-based and uses natural and hypoallergenic ingredients, reducing user risk.

What lash serum is right for me?

There are many questions to consider to make an informed decision on which lash serum you should purchase. Reading the ingredients list is a great place to start, ensuring that no harmful chemicals could have lasting effects on your eyes. Many lash serums are now by prescription only; getting a professional opinion from your care provider may give you great insight into whether the lash serum is right!

Lilly Cheung is a writer for the HerCampus chapter at Florida International University with a passion for fashion, beauty and film. As an English Literature major, she has spent countless nights writing and rewriting, dedicating much time to honing her craft. Set to graduate this year, she plans to continue writing professionally through copywriting. When she's not busy typing away on her computer, you can find her logging the last independent film on Letterboxd of thrifting for vintage. The type of girl that won the middle school 'Fashionista award' in 8th grade and never let it go (true story). She's a serial hobbyist, sewing and crafting costuming pieces or fashion staples in her small apartment. The smell of hot glue and a floor covered in stray thread is commonplace. In addition, staying active and traveling are another big part of her life.