The Hype Behind Alex Cooper’s “Call Her Daddy” Podcast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It all started in 2018 when Pennsylvania native Alexandra Cooper co-founded the viral podcast “Call Her Daddy”. At the time, the podcast was affiliated with Barstool Sports — a media organization founded by Dave Portnoy. Evidently, “Call Her Daddy” has reached success through its weekly discussions, unlike other podcasts.

“Call Her Daddy” centers around intimate conversations related to personal relationships and more. Cooper answers questions and topics many don’t openly chit-chat about. Her older sister’s advice has allowed CHD to reach millions of followers. After much success, the podcast host signed a $60 million contract with the popular streaming service, Spotify — leaving the Barstool organization.

So, what makes “Call Her Daddy” so revolutionary? Cooper’s relationship with her audience is different than most. Listeners tune in for weekly episodes that cover upfront conversations and relatable experiences. But what CHD listeners enjoy the most is the impressive list of guests that Cooper has managed to bring on the podcast — including those that may appear controversial to some.

• Anna Delvey

Netflix’s Inventing Anna brought light to con artist Anna Delvey’s experience while living in New York. The Netflix series followed Delvey’s case on how the so-called “German heiress” constructed her socialite personality. After many views, the series became a big hit for Netflix. In March 2022, Spotify released a “Call Her Daddy” episode that centered on the podcast host interviewing Anna Delvey.

• Jamie Lynn Spears

The two-part interview follows Jamie Lynn Spears as she covers personal experiences related to her upbringing and family dynamic. Spears faced backlash once listeners learned of the details she expressed regarding her sister, Britney Spears. At the time, Britney Spears was battling to end the involuntary conservatorship she was placed under.

• Hailey Rhode Bieber

“Call Her Daddy” once again made headlines all over the media when American model, Hailey Bieber, joined Cooper for an episode. It was the first time Bieber publicly vocalized her stance regarding the events that occurred with her husband and his ex-partner.

“Call Her Daddy” has emerged in the podcast world and continues to grow. The 28-year-old CHD host and executive producer were recognized as one of Forbes’s Top Creators in 2022 as No.3 on the charts. Cooper has rapidly become one of America’s highest-paid female podcasters. Today, “Call Her Daddy” is Spotify’s No.1 female-focused podcast.

Samantha joined Her Campus in January 2022 and has continued as a writer. Based in Miami, Florida and is currently a Public Relations student at Florida International University. Favorite pastimes range from art and writing to music and traveling. Enjoys watching movies, going out, and watching sports games.