The Black Girl’s Complete Guide to Makeup: Foundation and Unveiling Your Radiance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.
CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

Welcome back, Queens! Today we’re diving into the art of finding a perfect foundation! We all know the right foundation is key to a flawless look. Of course, we want a foundation that matches our skin; but a foundation that blurs imperfections and highlights our natural radiance, the beauty of melanin, is just as essential to a flawless look. So, let’s get straight to it.

Understanding your UNder tone:

For many, undertones are the most complex part of makeup. Undertones are the subtle hues beneath the surface of your skin that influence how colors appear on you. There are three main undertones: cool, warm, and neutral. Incorrectly identifying yours can affect an entire look, and make certain products and colors appear mismatched or washed out, so follow the next steps carefully. There are three main undertones: cool, warm, and neutral.

• Cool Undertones: If you have cool undertones, your skin might have hints of blue, pink, or purple. You probably opt for silver jewelry, as it complements cool undertones beautifully.
  • Warm Undertones: Warm undertones exhibit hints of yellow, peach, or gold. Gold jewelry tends to enhance the warmth of your skin.
  • Neutral Undertones: If you have a mix of both cool and warm undertones or find it challenging to discern, you likely have neutral undertones. You can rock both silver and gold jewelry.

There are many different ways to find your skin’s undertone. None are foolproof, but here are some that have worked for me:

• Colors in Clothing: Explore your wardrobe and see which neutral tones complement your skin best. Cool undertones may favor grays and cool-toned browns, while warm undertones might lean towards warmer browns and creams. Neutral undertones should be complimented equally by both.
  • Metallic Clothing: Similar to jewelry, observe how silver and gold fabrics enhance your features. If silver fabrics complement your skin tone, you might have cool undertones. If gold fabrics are more flattering, warm undertones are your go-to.

Choosing the right foundation (Formula + Finish) :

Now that we have the trouble of undertones out of the way, let’s get to my favorite part.

First, let’s talk about formulas. There are three major types of foundation formulas: powder, cream, and liquid. Whichever formula you select will significantly impact the appearance and feel of your makeup, especially based on your skin type. Here’s a breakdown of which foundation type might work best for you, along with how they generally feel:

Liquid Foundation:

• Oily Skin: Oil-free or matte liquid foundations work best for oily skin. Look for foundations labeled as “oil-free,” “matte,” or “long-wearing” to control excess oil throughout the day. Liquid foundations tend to provide good coverage without feeling too heavy.
  • Dry Skin: Liquid foundations with a hydrating or dewy finish are perfect for dry skin. They offer moisture and a radiant glow without accentuating dry patches.
  • Neutral Skin: Liquid foundations are versatile and generally work well for skin that isn’t oily or dry. They offer a range of finishes, from dewy to matte, allowing you to choose based on your preference.
  • Combination Skin: For skin that has both oily and dry spots, a liquid foundation with a balanced formula (not overly matte or dewy) can work. Apply setting powder to the oily areas after the foundation for a smoother finish.

Cream Foundation:

• Oily Skin: Cream foundations can be a bit heavy for oily skin, potentially leading to a greasy appearance. However, some oil-free cream foundations or cream-to-powder formulations may work well if properly set with powder.
  • Dry Skin: Cream foundations are excellent for dry skin, providing a hydrating and creamy feel. They can offer medium to full coverage while keeping the skin moisturized.
  • Neutral Skin: Cream foundations are good for neutral skin types. They provide good coverage and can offer a slightly dewy finish without feeling too oily.
  • Combination Skin: Cream foundations can work for combination skin, but it’s essential to set the foundation with powder in areas prone to oiliness to maintain balance.

Powder foundation:

• Oily Skin: Powder foundations are excellent for oily skin as they help absorb excess oil, providing a matte finish. Look for oil-free and long-wearing formulas. Mineral powder foundations can be a great choice for a lightweight feel.
  • Dry Skin: While powder foundations may accentuate dry patches, mineral powder foundations or hydrating powder formulas can work for dry skin, offering a lightweight feel and natural finish.
  • Neutral Skin: Powder foundations work well for neutral skin types, especially for those who prefer a natural and lightweight feel. They can provide light to medium coverage.
  • Combination Skin: Powder foundations are suitable for combination skin, but it’s advisable to use a liquid or cream foundation in areas that tend to be drier, and powder in the oilier regions.

The rest of this is completely up to you, your style, and your creativity. There are many different types of foundations and variations of finishes. As we go on, keep in mind what type of look you are trying to achieve. Here are some of my favorites:

• Matte Finish: Ideal for those who want a shine-free look, matte foundations are perfect for controlling oil and providing a velvety finish.
  • Dewy Finish: If you’re after a radiant, luminous glow, dewy foundations are your go-to. They add a healthy sheen to your complexion, leaving you looking fresh and hydrated.
  • Skin Tint: For a lightweight, barely-there feel, skin tints offer sheer coverage that evens out your skin tone without the weight of a full foundation.
  • BB Cream: Short for beauty balm, BB creams provide a bit more coverage than skin tints, along with added skincare benefits. Perfect for a natural, everyday look.
  • Natural Finish: Falling between matte and dewy, natural finish foundations provide a balanced look that’s neither too matte nor too luminous. Great for a versatile and timeless appearance.

A brand for every budget:

When selecting a foundation we now know to consider your skin type, desired coverage, and the occasion. Here are a few recommended brands catering to various budgets:

Drugstore Delights:

• Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation
  • L’Oréal True Match Super-Blendable Foundation
  • L’Oréal Infallible 24 Hour Fresh Wear Foundation
  • e.l.f. Flawless Satin Foundation

Affordable Glam:

• NYX Professional Makeup Can’t Stop Won’t Stop Foundation
  • e.l.f. Halo Glow Liquid Filter
  • SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Foundation
  • LYS Beauty Triple Fix Serum Foundation

High- End Luxe:

• Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation
  • NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation
  • HAUS LABS Triclone Skin Tech Foundation
  • MAKEUP BY MARIO SurrealSkin
  • MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Skin Matte Velvet Undetectable Longwear Blurring Powder Foundation
Design by Addie Abujade for Her Campus
Design by Addie Abujade for Her Campus

Some final tips:

Alexa, play “Flawless” by Beyonce! You are now ready to conquer a flawless base with the knowledge of your undertone, preferred formula, and array of foundation finishes. You’re sure to be the queen of the makeup game! Before you leave, remember to embrace your beauty, to experiment with different looks, and that makeup is all about self-expression. Stay radiant, stay fabulous, and keep shining in every hue that makes you uniquely you.

• Test Before You Invest: Always test foundations on your jawline or wrist to find the perfect shade. Natural light is your best friend during this process.
  • Blend, Blend, Blend: Whether you use a makeup sponge, brush, or your fingers, make sure your foundation seamlessly blends into your skin for a flawless finish.
  • Build Your Collection: Having a variety of foundations for different occasions ensures that you’re always prepared, whether it’s a casual day out or a glam night on the town.
Hope Flynn is an senior at FIU, and a lover of anime, movies, and television. Currently majoring in Creative Writing, she is a storyteller at heart, and devoted to bringing her unique perspective to Her Campus. As a Scorpio, Hope approaches her interests with a deep passion and determination. Her love for music, movies, books, makeup, and television is matched only by her dedication to storytelling. When she's not at work or buried in her coursework, you'll find her experimenting with new recipes, curled up with a novel, discovering the latest fiction releases, or sharing her favorite reads with the Her Campus community.