The Black Girl’s Complete Guide to Makeup: Finishing Touches and Crafting Your Perfect Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Welcome back to “The Black Girl’s Complete Guide to Makeup,” where we delve into the art of makeup tailored specifically to the beautiful diversity of Black skin. In this post, we’ll explore the transformative powers of highlight, blush, and eyeshadow, and how to integrate them seamlessly into your makeup routine. If you stick around, we’ll discuss the importance of building a custom routine that not only enhances your features but also celebrates your unique beauty, and leaves you with a few tips to help the process along. So, lets get to the good stuff!

Illuminate with Highlight:

Highlighter is a game changer in a routine, a simple step that elevates a look by adding a coveted glow that catches the light just right. For Black girls, finding the perfect highlighter can sometimes be a challenge, but fear not – there’s a shade for every melanin level! Opt for golden or bronze tones that complement deeper skin tones beautifully. Apply it to the high points of your face – cheekbones, brow bone, bridge of the nose, and cupid’s bow – for a luminous finish that grabs attention.

There are a few great options for you when it comes to any makeup product. Let’s break it down:

Liquid Highlighter: Liquid highlighters are a versatile option beloved for their buildable coverage and natural-looking finish. They typically come in a fluid or creamy consistency, making them easy to blend and customize according to your desired level of glow. For Black girls, liquid highlighters offer the advantage of seamlessly melting into the skin, providing a dewy, lit-from-within radiance.

One of the key benefits of liquid highlighters is their ability to be mixed with other products, such as foundation or moisturizer, to create a customized luminous base. This versatility allows for endless possibilities, from achieving a subtle, everyday glow to a more intense, editorial look.

When applying liquid highlighter, you can use your fingers, a damp makeup sponge, or a synthetic brush to gently tap and blend the product onto the high points of your face. This includes the cheekbones, brow bones, bridge of the nose, and cupid’s bow. The result is a radiant, hydrated complexion that enhances your natural beauty.

Here’s some of my favorite liquid highlighters:

• Fenty Beauty by Rihanna – Liquid Killawatt Fluid Freestyle Highlighter ($32)
  • NYX Professional Makeup – Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator ($7.50)
  • Milk Makeup – Bionic Glow Illuminating Liquid Highlighter with Hyaluronic Acid ($36)
  • Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez – Positive Light Liquid Luminizer Highlight ($25)
  • Charlotte Tilbury – Beauty Highlighter Wand ($42)
  • e.l.f. Makeup – Halo Glow Highlight Beauty Wand ($9)
  • REFY – Gloss Highlighter ($26)
  • Iconic London – Illuminator Liquid Highlight ($40)
  • MAKE UP FOR EVER – Ultra HD Soft Liquid Highlighter ($29)
  • Danessa Myricks Beauty – Vision FLush Glow Hyper Radiant Liquid Highlighter ($20)

Powder Highlighter: Powder highlighters, on the other hand, offer a more intense and long-lasting glow with a silky, velvety texture. They come in pressed or loose formulations and are available in a wide range of shades and finishes, including shimmer, metallic, and matte.

For Black girls, powder highlighters are ideal for achieving a bold, luminous look that pops against melanin-rich skin. They can be applied with a fluffy brush for a soft, diffused glow or with a damp brush for a more intense, foil-like finish.

Powder highlighters are also perfect for layering over other makeup products, such as blush or bronzer, to add dimension and luminosity to the complexion. Additionally, they are travel-friendly and easy to touch up throughout the day, making them a staple in any makeup bag.

When applying powder highlighter, use a brush with soft, densely packed bristles to gently sweep the product onto the desired areas of your face. Blend carefully to avoid harsh lines, ensuring a seamless and natural-looking glow.

Here’s some of my favorite powder highlighters:

• Iconic London – Lit and Luminous Baked Highlighter ($29)
  • Juvia’s Place – Tribe (Volume 3) Pressed Powder Highlight ($15)
  • Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez – Positive Light Silky Touch Highlighter ($25)
  • MAKE UP FOR EVER – Artist Longwear Skin-fusing Powder Highlighter
  • Benefit Cosmetics – Cookie and Tickle Powder Highlighters ($35)
  • Sephora Collection – Sephora Colorful Powder Luminizer ($14)
  • Dior – BACKSTAGE Glow Face Palette ($48)
  • HAUS LABS By Lady Gaga – Bio-Radiant Gel-Powder Highlighter with Fermented Arnica ($40)
  • MAKE UP FOR EVER- Soft Glow Highlighter ($34)
  • Fenty Beauty By Rihanna – Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter ($40)

a Flush of Color With Blush:

Blush adds a healthy flush of color to the cheeks, instantly brightening and enlivening the complexion. Blush is the unsung hero of makeup, it creates a healthy flush that brings life to your complexion products. When choosing a blush, look for rich, pigmented hues like berry, plum, or deep rose that will pop against your skin tone.When choosing a blush shade for Black skin, look for rich, pigmented hues that complement your undertones. Deep berry, vibrant coral, and warm terracotta shades are particularly flattering on darker skin tones. For a natural look, smile and apply blush to the apples of your cheeks, blending upwards towards your temples.

Blend carefully to avoid harsh lines, ensuring a seamless transition between your blush and the rest of your makeup. Remember, less is often more with blush, so start with a light application and build up the intensity as desired. Don’t be afraid to layer – build up the color gradually until you achieve your desired pigment.

Blush comes in various formulas, each with unique textures and finishes to suit different preferences and skin types. Let’s explore them:

Liquid Blush:

Liquid blushes are known for their lightweight, buildable coverage and natural-looking finish. They often come in a fluid or gel-like consistency, making them easy to blend and perfect for achieving a dewy, flushed complexion.

Here’s some I love:

• Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez – Soft Pinch Liquid Blush ($23)
  • Saie – Dew Blush Blendable Liquid Blush ($25)
  • Juvia’s Place – Blushed Liquid ($18)
  • Charlotte Tilbury – Matte Beauty Blush Wand ($42)
  • Urban Decay – Hydromaniac Dewy Liquid Blush ($22)
  • NARS – Afterglow Liquid Blush ($32)
  • ciele – blush & PROTECT SPF 50+ liquid blush ($34)
  • MILK MAKEUP – Bionic Liquid Blush with Hyaluronic Acid ($24)

Cream Blush:

Cream blushes are creamy in texture and blend effortlessly into the skin for a natural, luminous finish. They are perfect for achieving a fresh, youthful look and are often favored for their hydrating properties.

Check out some of my favorites:

• Tower 28 – BeachPlease Lip + Cheek Cream Blush ($20)
  • PATRICK TA – Major Headlines Double-Take Creme & Powder Blush Duo
  • Fenty Beauty by Rihanna – Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush ($25)
  • MILK MAKEUP – Lip + Cheek Cream Blush Stick ($24)
  • MAKEUP BY MARIO – Soft Plumping Blush Veil ($30)
  • LYS Beauty – Higher Standard Satin Matte Cream Blush ($18)
  • LYS Beauty – Higher Standard Cream Glow Blush Sticks ($20)

Powder Blush:

Powder blushes are beloved for their ease of application and long-lasting wear. They come in pressed or loose formulations and offer a wide range of finishes, from matte to shimmer.

Take a quick look at these options:

• Danessa Myricks Beauty – Yummy Skin Blurring Balm Powder Blush ($25)
  • Hourglass – Ambient Lighting Blush Collection ($30-46)
  • Givenchy – Prisme Libre Loose Powder Blush ($45)
  • PAT McGRATH LABS – Skin Fetish: Divine Powder Blush ($39)
  • HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA – Color use Talc-Free Powder Blush with Fermented Arnica ($35)
  • Natasha Denona – Bloom Cheek Palette ($59)
  • Juvia’s Place – Blushed Duo ($18)

Get Creative with Eyeshadow:

Eyeshadow is where you can truly let your creativity shine. Whether you prefer soft, neutral tones for a subtle look or bold, vibrant colors to make a statement, there are endless possibilities to explore. For Black girls, richly pigmented eyeshadows in shades like chocolate brown, copper, plum, and emerald green beautifully complement our skin tones and allow for stunning eye looks.

When applying eyeshadow, start by applying a neutral base shade all over the lid to even out the skin tone. Then, use a slightly deeper shade to define the crease and add dimension to the eyes. Finally, add a pop of color or shimmer to the lid for a touch of glamour. Don’t forget to blend carefully to ensure a seamless transition between shades.

Here are some great options:

• SEPHORA COLLECTION – Precious Gemstones Eyeshadow Palette ($25)
  • Anastasia Beverly Hills – Soft Glam Eyeshadow Palette ($45)
  • HUDA BEAUTY – Creamy Obsessions Eyeshadow Palette ($32)
  • SEPHORA COLLECTION – Sephora Destinations Eye Palette ($15)
  • Urban Decay Naked2 Basics Eyeshadow Palette ($35)
  • Juvia’s Place – The Coffee Shop Palette ($25)

Crafting a custom routine:

Building a makeup routine that works best for you is all about experimentation and self-discovery. Start by identifying your skincare needs and concerns, as a healthy canvas is essential for flawless makeup application. Invest in high-quality skincare products tailored to your skin type and concerns, such as cleansers, moisturizers, and serums.

Next, consider your makeup preferences and lifestyle. Are you a fan of full glam, or do you prefer a more natural look? Take into account factors such as your skin tone, facial features, and personal style when selecting makeup products and techniques.

Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new trends or techniques – makeup is all about self-expression and creativity.

When building your custom makeup routine, I find it easiest to focus on enhancing features I love about myself rather than masking others. Embrace your unique features and celebrate what makes you beautiful. Remember, makeup should be fun and empowering, so don’t be afraid to experiment and have fun with it. Always make time to experiment, and embrace the artistry of makeup – because when it comes to beauty, the possibilities are endless.

Hope Flynn is an senior at FIU, and a lover of anime, movies, and television. Currently majoring in Creative Writing, she is a storyteller at heart, and devoted to bringing her unique perspective to Her Campus. As a Scorpio, Hope approaches her interests with a deep passion and determination. Her love for music, movies, books, makeup, and television is matched only by her dedication to storytelling. When she's not at work or buried in her coursework, you'll find her experimenting with new recipes, curled up with a novel, discovering the latest fiction releases, or sharing her favorite reads with the Her Campus community.