This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

When I first mention to people that I read Tarot, I always get one of the two responses: “Can you tell me what my future looks like?” or “Is that even real?”

Though nowadays associated with the occult and spiritual, Tarot cards were originally just a card game and have been around for many years.

There are many misconceptions about Tarot; a lot of it has to do with its portrayal in pop culture as supernatural. It’s not. Most of the information you’ll receive from Tarot cards is based on using your intuition (something we all have) to interpret the message. 

Tarot is a great tool to help individuals gain some insight into their life- it can present you with guidance for a situation or event in your life or help you take a glimpse at your past, present, and sometimes future. So if you’re interested in starting Tarot readings yourself or just curious, read ahead for some Tarot 101.

Choosing a Deck​

The first step to beginning Tarot is choosing a deck. It’s typically suggested that beginners start with a Rider-Waite deck since this is pretty much the inspiration behind most modern-day decks. However, I think it’s more important to find a deck that calls to you. All decks have different personalities (yes, crazy, but it’s true), and you’ll come to see that there’s no one-size-fits-all deck. Some decks are very loud and blunt, sparing no feelings (The Wild Unknown in my experience is like this), and others are more nurturing and will always try to soften the message. Think of it as making a friend; you want to find a deck you feel connected to and vibes with your personality.

Learn the Arcanas

Most Tarot decks are typically divided into two Arcanas: the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana. 

The Major Arcana consists of cards 0-21, or The Fool and The World; these describe main events or situations and typically help set the big picture of a reading. 

The Fool represents the beginning of a journey, as the card depicts a carefree man, walking alongside the edge of a cliff. About to embark on a trip with a bindle over his shoulder, the young man stares up at the sky, unaware (or perhaps unphased) that he’s one step from falling. The World indicates completing a cycle, serving as the last Major Arcana card in the deck. 

The remaining 56 cards are known as the Minor Arcana. These typically symbolize temporary energy and less monumental or defining events than the Major Arcana. They can also be used to help you understand what steps to take to achieve what you seek. The Minor Arcana is divided into four suits: cups, pentacles, swords and wands. 

The Suit of Cups represents emotions and feelings. 

The Suit of Pentacles represents finance and material possessions. 

The Suit of Swords represents action, communication and thoughts. 

The Suit of Wands represents energy and passion. 

These cards can also represent the four elements and Zodiac signs.  

Learn Some Spreads

As you begin to get more into Tarot, you’ll realize that all readers use different spreads. A spread is essentially a template that will help you position your cards, and depending on the placement, what they mean ultimately creating a story. My favorite and most comfortable spread is the three-card spread. It can be used for virtually any reading- past/present/future, you/another person/the relationship, situation/action/outcome, etc. So if you’re just starting, this spread will be your best friend! 

Practice​

The best way to get better at Tarot is by practice. Start by giving yourself a mini-reading. Have a question? Maybe you’re unsure about how to deal with a particular choice? Ask your deck. You’ll see that as time passes, you’ll be able to understand the message quicker and more in depth. Just like a muscle, the more you practice, the more developed it gets.

If you’d like any more tips, or would like me to do some general readings in the future please let me know by sending me a message through Instagram or Twitter!

Just a Gemini with a passion for astrology and fashion.