This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Quarantine isn’t fun, but when you’re on birth control, it makes it a bit more complicated. Birth control isn’t used just to prevent pregnancy. People use it to alleviate cramps, PMS, and to cope with symptoms of Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POI) and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). While birth control is a part of everyday life for many, quarantine might make it complicated for some who take it.

Hiding your birth control when your parents don’t know you’re on it

Moving back home from school takes some adjusting, but trying to sneak away to take your pill on time or hiding your birth control from your parents could get tricky. Stashing it in a coin purse or your wallet makes it easy to carry it around in your purse or bookbag. If your new “roommates” are snoopy and like to go through your belongings, keeping it in a journal with a folder attached to the back cover creates an inconspicuous little hiding space. Leuchtturm1917 has a small journal that’s easy to travel with and a folder that doesn’t get distorted.

If you need to take it without them knowing, try taking it in the bathroom when brushing your teeth or taking a shower. If you are in a safe place, you could discuss it with your parents. Mira Milla, a writer for College Magazine, wrote an article on how to talk to your parents about birth control

Refilling your prescription while staying at home.

In order to lower the chances of people being exposed to COVID-19, Stay-At-Home orders are being placed. While people can leave their houses to go to work or run essential errands like grocery shopping, having your birth control shipped straight to your house just makes life easier. Planned Parenthood’s app Planned Parenthood Direct connects patients with medical professionals who can prescribe them birth control and ships it to their house in discreet packaging.

Can you go off the pill?

If you need to take birth control to cope with any pre-existing conditions, talk to your doctor before going off of the pill or any other hormonal birth control.

However, if you don’t, you should be okay. “It’s not dangerous or harmful to go on and off the pill. But any time there’s a change in your hormones, there’s a chance of temporary side effects, like changes to your period,” writes Planned Parenthood. Keep in mind that once you do go off the pill, you can immediately become pregnant.

Staying safe should always be your number one priority. Researching what options you have when it comes to your birth control is always smart. Make sure to discuss any changes or side effects you might have with your doctor.

Julia Gomez is a student of journalism at Florida International University and hopes to become an investigative journalist. She is experienced in writing about politics and pop culture, and has a passion for music and photography.